OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Legal Hunting Hours

Started by OldSchool, February 07, 2016, 01:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

The biologists really don't scientifically know the why for for the mid-day closings.  One of their group surmised the theory and it was adopted without study.  Much like the long time ban on killing does.  At least the ban on killing hens has a mathematical basis to fall back on.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

OldSchool

Quote from: LI Outdoorsman on February 07, 2016, 03:40:56 PM
Yeah I wish NY would at least adopt what PA is doing...all day hunting the last 2 weeks..I've hunted other states with all day hunting and it can be very effective sometimes the difference between tagging out or not..But DEC wont do it...I've walked away from many hot afternoon birds and it SUCKS....
I have on a few occasions spooked hens off nests...do they just come back and sit on them again? or is that considered a dead hatch?
[/quot

I'm no biologist but I can't imagine them not coming back after being spooked off. Possibly not if they were repeatedly spooked, I don't know. The one I mentioned in my last post hatched her eggs. I went back and checked on the nest later in the spring, and there was nothing but some empty shells. And by the looks of them, they'd hatched and not been broken by a predator.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

OldSchool

Quote from: silvestris on February 07, 2016, 04:52:15 PM
The biologists really don't scientifically know the why for for the mid-day closings.  One of their group surmised the theory and it was adopted without study.  Much like the long time ban on killing does.  At least the ban on killing hens has a mathematical basis to fall back on.

That makes more sense than most of what I've heard on the subject.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

JLH

Quote from: Gobble! on February 07, 2016, 01:25:09 PM
MD is till 12 the first two weeks then all day after I believe.

Yep....except we can't hunt sundays...

silvestris

Quote from: JLH on February 07, 2016, 06:14:55 PM

I find that offensive especially in light of the fact that I find it easier to find Christ in his natural world than in a 501(C) corporation.  To me, freedom of religion means absoulutely no state involvement absent criminal activity.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

trad bow

In GA it is 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. As many people that are hunting turkeys now I prefer the afternoons as the hens are on nest and the casual turkey hunters are fishing or playing golf.

Happy

We can hunt certain public areas in Allegany,Garrett and Washington counties now. Page 21 in the regs. Some other counties let you hunt private land on sundays.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

That was in reference to Md. Left that out. My bad.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Hooksfan

As has been stated, Missouri closes at 1 pm. I personally believe the rule stems from some sort of MDC regulations Committee drinking game where the last person conscious got to propose the most ridiculous regulation they could think of. Pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

Hooksfan

Also, word on the street is that Missouri will go to all day in 2017.

MK M GOBL

Wisconsin's current hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise and end at sunset*. When I started turkey hunting we were the noon closure...

MK M GOBL

JLH

Quote from: silvestris on February 07, 2016, 06:31:54 PM
Quote from: JLH on February 07, 2016, 06:14:55 PM

I find that offensive especially in light of the fact that I find it easier to find Christ in his natural world than in a 501(C) corporation.  To me, freedom of religion means absoulutely no state involvement absent criminal activity.

I'm with you 100%

But the liberals here won't be happy until all hunting is abolished.

It's actually the deep pockets of the horse community that is keeping Sundays closed....they have to be able to ride their horses without rednecks shooting at them cuz they look like a deer!

It's true we are getting some Sundays in certain counties, but on private land only.

Maryland...a great state filled with crappy people... ???

jordanz7935

Yea I wish the NY DEC would adopt some changes also. All day hunting or even doing what PA does would sure be nice. The people its hurting the most is the young hunters still in school with limited hunting time.They are the future of our sport. The almighty $$$ is only thing the NY DEC cares about and they don't make much from turkey hunters so nothings gonna change. What they did for our fall season last yr was too little,too late to help our struggling population.

born2hunt

FL is daylight to dark on private but 1:00 on the public land. They did run an online survey that asked if you were in favor of all day hunting and several other ?s regarding the subject. Then they were gonna do a trial run on a few WMAs last year and let them hunt all day but I haven't heard how it went as I don't hunt those. Looks like they may possibly be heading towards all day hunting statewide.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

VaTuRkStOmPeR

New York turkey numbers are plummeting and 5 short years ago there were plenty of them.

I'm glad they cut the fall season from 7 to 2 weeks and glad New York gives the birds a break in the afternoon.  They don't need to be doing anything to increase harvest opportunities.