News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Smoke Phase Gobbler

Started by Double B, February 05, 2016, 12:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: eorlando on February 05, 2016, 07:55:06 AM
Here is the one I shot 6 years ago.  John Beard from TN  mounted the bird for me and actually took second in the masters division at the NWTF taxidermy competition that year.  It was the first turkey I had ever shot.  I actually thought I had shot a domestic turkey at first. Little did I know it would be a once in a lifetime bird!  Realizing how few gobblers there are out there and Osceola's at that make it even more special. In all my searches online in the past this is the only smoke phase Osceola i have seen.  Sorry to those of you who have already seen this bird. I just can't resist showing it off when I get the chance!!!

Silver Phase Turkey by e_orlando, on Flickr

turkey4 by e_orlando, on Flickr

Turkey Mount 3 by e_orlando, on Flickr

Beautiful!  Awesome job on the mounts!!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Double B

Wow!  Getting back on this thread after work has been working me a little too hard lol!   Yes eorlando that is what we all dream about!  Thanks for posting  and keep em coming if'n ya got em.     :you_rock:
Followed by buzzards

LI Outdoorsman

Awesome looking birds for sure...but I cant help thinking they're just a cross between a wild bird and a feral domestic bird not some mythical creature. I have a friend that raises Royal Palms and he lets them free range his property..wild turkeys visit them all the time....An Albino would be a true non typical

Tail Feathers

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 05, 2016, 07:18:36 AM
No "Smokes" but have had a buddy kill an "erythristic color phase" red/white jake and I have seen a hen in our area with same coloring.

MK M GOBL
Never seen a smoke phase but we have a hen on my lease that's red and white.  Had that gene in our area for several years I guess, this is the second I've seen in the past 15 years.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ncturkey

Here is a picture of a smokey grey phase bearded hen I got back in 2005.

eorlando

^^^^^^^^**Very nice!!!  Did you mount her?  If so, lets see a pic. Had you seen her before or just the day you shot her?  Just curious. Congrats!!!

turkey_slayer

I had 2 smoke phase longbeards come by in the fall several years ago with a flock of hens. Season was open but I figured I would kill one during the spring. I never seen them again. Talked to a guy that was on them opening day and said they were with 5 hens and in range but never could get a shot. He never seen them again. From where he seen them and I seen them was only about a mile the way the crow flies.

I seen the same white hen in Tenn 2 years in a row and widowed her both times  :D

Thundermtn

I took these last fall, no clue what to call it. Is this a domestic bird, hybrid, or a wild bird?

snapper1982

Quote from: Thundermtn on February 16, 2016, 01:58:42 PM
I took these last fall, no clue what to call it. Is this a domestic bird, hybrid, or a wild bird?

Domestic bourbon red

Thundermtn

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Thundermtn on February 16, 2016, 01:58:42 PM

This could be a wild bird, they are "erythristic color phase" red/white. A buddy of mine killed a jake with this color mutation.

THattaway

I killed this clown a few years back, was posted back then. I don't care what suit and tie he wears, it's the hunt experience that I remember most.

"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Dr Juice

Quote from: eorlando on February 05, 2016, 07:55:06 AM
Here is the one I shot 6 years ago.  John Beard from TN  mounted the bird for me and actually took second in the masters division at the NWTF taxidermy competition that year.  It was the first turkey I had ever shot.  I actually thought I had shot a domestic turkey at first. Little did I know it would be a once in a lifetime bird!  Realizing how few gobblers there are out there and Osceola's at that make it even more special. In all my searches online in the past this is the only smoke phase Osceola i have seen.  Sorry to those of you who have already seen this bird. I just can't resist showing it off when I get the chance!!!

Silver Phase Turkey by e_orlando, on Flickr

turkey4 by e_orlando, on Flickr

Turkey Mount 3 by e_orlando, on Flickr

Awesome bird ... I hope to get one someday.

tha bugman

I have seen smoke phase before.  My dad would say they were Naragansette crosses...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Some damn cool birds in this thread. I have never had a bird in range that was not your typical eastern.