OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's your range?

Started by MK M GOBL, February 04, 2016, 09:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HARDCORE

Situations can differ from one hunt to the next but 40 yards is always the planned maximum range, regardless if I'm hunting public or private property. (what the heck is the difference)  If for some reason there's not a video camera involved on the hunt I'm pulling the trigger as soon as he reaches the 40 yard mark give or take a little either way depending on the current circumstances. When a video camera is involved, usually is, 20 yards is our preferred distance, but only because it makes for a better video. I've shot them a lot closer but usually it was because something didn't happen like I'd planned it would.

HC

gobbler777

This is my 53rd spring season. I pattern and know my maximum effective distance with my 12 and 20 ga. I let them come in to where I have a good, head up shot. That usually occurs at about 20-30 yards. I can and will, however, take a shot up to my maximum effective distance. My closest last year passed me at 10 feet. I let him go past and shot him at 15 yards. I use the same philosophy with my bow.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

RutnNStrutn

80% of my birds have been around 20 yards. Some were closer, some further. Closet was 6 yards. Furthest was 54 yards. :fud:

Thundermtn

My average for the last few seasons is pretty close to 20 yards or a hair under. If he gets to 40 and starts getting spooky  or his snood draws up I'll cut loose on him though.

kdsberman

Im all about getting the birds in close.  To me, thats hunting.  My max is 40, althought I have never shot one that far.  Matter of fact, ive only shot one bird further than 30 yards (37).  If I have a bird at 40.5 yards away, I aint shooting.  Just my own thing I guess.  My setup is WELL capable, but still wont do it.

triplebeard

Depends the mood of the bird but my max is 60 shooting m Remington Wingmaster HD #5's.  I've killed 2 at that range bUT I prefer between 15-30 yards.  Really don't like to let em get inside 15 bc my pattern is so tight its almost like shooting a rifle at that range.  Know your gun and pattern and do what works for you I say.  Also something I started doing a few years ago is I patterned my gun in tight cover because I love to hunt cut overs late season mid day to see what the shot did going thru brush.  Depending in your load it'll suprise you.

tree-rat sniper

The closest one I had was around 10' but the last one was around 25 yards.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

tha bugman

Quote from: silvestris on February 04, 2016, 10:30:11 AM
35 yards max.  Will let them get as close as they want if the gun is on them, for the sport and the rush.
I got shortness of breath just thinking of him turning and walking closer and closer and closer BOOM!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RemingtonRules

Internet distance is like internet turkeys they all have 10 inch beards and 1 1/4 inch spurs. Distance posted is always under 40 yards but for some reason people are carrying 3.5 inch 12 gauges and tungsten shot.

I have had them close and sometimes too close.  I have missed more up close than at distance.  I enjoy them any way they come.  I just like the chase. 

davisd9

Quote from: RemingtonRules on February 13, 2016, 10:33:50 AM
Internet distance is like internet turkeys they all have 10 inch beards and 1 1/4 inch spurs. Distance posted is always under 40 yards but for some reason people are carrying 3.5 inch 12 gauges and tungsten shot.

I have had them close and sometimes too close.  I have missed more up close than at distance.  I enjoy them any way they come.  I just like the chase.

X2

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

Quit using the 3 1/2 years ago after taking turkeys way to far out . Which was what is was bought for.
As my youngest son started chasing turkey with a .410 and then 2 3/4 20
The 15 to 30 yard turkeys were sure a heck of a lot more fun !
Went to a 3" 20 with hevi 6 and HW 7 but the rang hasn't changed.
Still use a 12 with 3" HW 7's or thug 5's occasionally. Even some 2 3/4.
So 40 is new max now with most being around 25 . 7 was the closest with my son shootin one and my closest was 7 with a HR 36 " 10 gauge  :z-dizzy
All big gun shooters do not shoot long , but some setup to do just that .

chatterbox

25-30 yards is my favorite. My gun is patterned to 40, but I like them closer than that.
The thrill to me is calling them in, then pulling the trigger!