OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's your range?

Started by MK M GOBL, February 04, 2016, 09:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchool

The longer I hunt, the closer I like them. I draw the line at having to push them back a step with the muzzle in order to be able to shoulder my gun.;D Anything from there out to 30 yards, with an average of probably 20.

If I could bottle the mental and physical rush I experience when I have big gobbler standing in front of me, wary and looking at close range, I think I could put every drug dealer in the country out of business overnight. It just doesn't get any better.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

kyturkeyhunter4

50 yards would be my max, and that would have to be in a wide open field. And in the timber 30 would be my max.

Happy

I really like 20-30 yards but am on the trigger whenever they cross the 40 yard mark. If they are not alarmed and then I let them keep coming. The second they start getting antsy I drop them. Or scare the crap out them. Hey its happened a time or two.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Big perm2

60 yrds max but I love the beauty of a Tom at close range, I have a range finder in my vest bc   Sometimes distance can be deceiving to me anyways!! Lol!!

Talkem into given up!!!

turkeyfoot

I've took them between 7 and 57 yards most being around the 35-40 yard mark I'm not big fan of the up close shots so when they hit that range I'm shooting, I mostly hunt hardwoods so distance is usually not issue

owlhoot

Quote from: OldSchool on February 05, 2016, 02:31:06 PM
The longer I hunt, the closer I like them. I draw the line at having to push them back a step with the muzzle in order to be able to shoulder my gun.;D Anything from there out to 30 yards, with an average of probably 20.

If I could bottle the mental and physical rush I experience when I have big gobbler standing in front of me, wary and looking at close range, I think I could put every drug dealer in the country out of business overnight. It just doesn't get any better.

Bob
Sounds like you need a 21" barrel Old School , those 26-28" can get in the way  :funnyturkey:

OldSchool

Quote from: owlhoot on February 06, 2016, 09:32:24 AM

Bob
Sounds like you need a 21" barrel Old School , those 26-28" can get in the way  :funnyturkey:

My Ithaca's got a 24" barrel on it now. I'm afraid if I go any shorter one of those birds will try to get too friendly with me some day. ;)

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

owlhoot

Quote from: OldSchool on February 06, 2016, 10:27:49 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on February 06, 2016, 09:32:24 AM

Bob

My Ithaca's got a 24" barrel on it now. I'm afraid if I go any shorter one of those birds will try to get too friendly with me some day. ;)

Bob
lmao.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: POINT taken , no pun

RemingtonRules

If I cannot get him off the limb at first light, I wait until his feet hit the ground.  I am not good with geometry so I am not sure how far that is. 

Uncle Nicky

As far as 50 yards. Once they get to 30 yards, I'm pulling the trigger.

hs strut

i dont like to shoot past 40 yds im not into turkey sniping. my average distance is 25-30 yds but i have taken a few that were maybe 10- 15 yds
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

HOOKS1

Less than 35 and average is about 18. Closest less than 6 feet. Killing them for 48 years.

surehuntsalot

30yds or less, the closer, the better the show
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Cut N Run

This coming season will be my 34th Spring in the turkey woods.  The farthest gobbler I ever shot was 36 yards & the closest was 6 yards.  I shot at one about 38 yards in 1999 that I cut feathers and drew blood from, but never found him. That lost bird has made me hold off on longer shots and start shooting Hevi shot. Even though I know my gun is more than capable for longer shots, my average shot is around 18-20 yards.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

decoykrvr

This spring will be my 36th year chasing gobblers and I usually hunt 2-3 states.  I'll I've shot is Hevi-Shot and Heavyweight since it was first loaded by Polywad ,Remington and then Federal.  My turkey guns are all patterned at 40 yards and then at 50 and 25 yards, so I know what the individual loads and guns will do.  I re-pattern my turkey guns every year, and typically shoot 25-30 turkey shells while doing so and even practice with my guns and low brass shells.  I am not an advocate of long range shots and the long range hype of the ammunition makers,  but am very comfortable w/ my guns and my shooting and ranging abilities.  With that said, about 10 years ago, I worked a large gobbler in a field w/ hens for over two hours, and when he finally broke from the hens and walked towards me, angling slightly away, I misjudged the distance and shot and killed the bird w/ a 2 oz load of Hevi-13, 7's at a measured 62 yards.  The gobbler weighed a little over 25 lbs, and when we X-Rayed his head and neck, two pellets had penetrated the cranium and four had penetrated the spine.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, about 14 years ago I had been on a pair of gobblers for over four hours and was attempting to get to open woods by passing through an area which had been clear cut about six years prior and was so thick I could barely fight my way through it, and definitely too thick for turkeys.  I hadn't called in about 25 minutes as I tried to move on the birds, when apparently the birds heard me forcing my way through the brush and ran at me gobbling.  I leaned against a 6" sapling and shot a gobbler 6 feet from my gun barrel.  I love watching fired up gobblers, but don't want them too close, and try to shoot them at 25-30 yards.  You've got to watch that head and his body posture,  and as soon as he kicks a leg around to leave, the jig is up, and you'd better be shooting.  Last season my closest gobbler was 6 yards and the farthest 42 yards, but the majority were about 25 yards.