News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's your range?

Started by MK M GOBL, February 04, 2016, 09:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksfan

Quote from: 762 on February 04, 2016, 03:17:48 PM
I shoot him once his toes touch the 40 yard line,provided I have a clear shot.

Yep.   I shoot them pretty much as soon as they are killable.  If I want to watch turkeys, I can watch a hunting show--too many things can happen to booger up a hunt to wait very much.  Having said that, my preferred range would be in the 25-30 yard range with a shotgun and 10 yards with a bow.

worth612000

25 to 30 yards is nice. Rarely ever find any shot in the Breast meat.

THattaway

Things get dicey for me when toms get inside about 25 yards. That's why I like hunting them so much. I usually try to take the first good shot op inside 35 yards. Yank triggers still plague me but I am getting a little better. Expect when I get it whipped I won't care to hunt anymore or will be dead.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

g8rvet

I take the best shot inside 40.  I am relatively new and dang sure like the taste of wild turkey (and Wild Turkey).  Depends where I am and the situation. I have sat with my gun up and enjoyed the show field hunting on private land with a huge grin on my face under my mask and just had fun watching them.  I have also taken the first available shot in public or thick woods to make sure he got a truck ride.  2 years ago, one got in to about 6 steps from me and was angling away. I let him get to about 15 yards and gave a soft putt and he popped up his head - for the last time. Could have shot him at 6, but liked my odds better at 15.  I killed one that was getting spooky at about 8 steps - he did not know what I was, but he knew that lump was not right. 

Average kill?  20-25 yards. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BigGobbler

I have a line I draw at 20yds or closer and they haft to gobble and strutt before I shoot. That's my personal preferences that I set for myself. My hunting buddies hate to tag along with me on hunts,it kills them to watch a gobbler take a long time work his way To within 20yds when they would have shot him out at 30 or more yards. Not sure what is more enjoyable the gobbler at 20yds or someone whispering shoot shoot shoot. LOL

Yoder409

This will be my 37th spring.  I have kept a record of every bird I have ever shot...................where, how far, weight, spurs, beard......   Off the top of my head I do not know how many birds are on that list.  Not a numbers kinda guy.  But about 5 years ago, I added up all the distances and divided by the number of birds.

28 1/2 yards average shot.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

chadly

Quote from: guesswho on February 04, 2016, 03:00:49 PM
This will be my 48th spring.   Not going to mention numbers, not relevant.  I used to have a hard time letting him get to 30.   Now I'll let him come inside 30 and stay as long as he likes, and will allow him to get as close as he wants.   But once he decides to leave I try to end our encounter on a sour note for him.  Closet one last year was about 9-10 feet.  If they don't booger when they decide to leave I like to shoot them around 20-30.
I like this.  I have a good friend who hunts deer/bow with me heavy but had no interest in turkeys.  I got him to go with me a few times and it just did not hook him.  Once day a tom came in and did his thing in the decoys for a bit.  This was a huge bird the biggest I've ever killed. Having him so close for a period of time and our hearts racing hooked my friend.  He has more recently out hunted the last few years.  Up close is fun. 

WildTigerTrout

I like them about 25 to 30 yards but will take the shot at 40 yards. I hunt mostly public land and do not use blinds or decoys so as soon as he offers me a killing shot I take it. My closest kill was 30 feet!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Oconeeguy

Jbird22

Quote from: Hooksfan on February 04, 2016, 03:39:50 PM...I shoot them pretty much as soon as they are killable...
Same here. My avg. range is likely ~30 yds. It is awesome to get one to come in < 10 yds but the only way that happens to me is if I don't have a clear shot prior to one getting that close. Ha!

WisTurk

I try and get them in between 20-30 yards, but my longest was 42 steps (I was still a new hunter and misjudged the distance).  Always take the 1st good shot I get since I've been burned several times just trying to get them closer and closer.  A bird in the hand kind of thing.

turkeywhisperer935

As soon as he gets to the point where ol mossy won't fail. I'd say 40 to 30 yds. Around here I try to kill them as soon as I can. There is too many variables to help me not kill him if I try to hold off. I only get so many chances a year and don't want to waste it.

Gooserbat

Once they get to 40 I start looking for a kill shot
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

trkehunr93

I hunt mostly mountains so I try to always set up where I'm going to have a shot thats inside 30 yards, I can only think of two that I have killed that were at 40 yards.  I have a gun that can kill at 40 now but I still hunt like I did when I was toting a single shot with 2 3/4" shells.  I like'em close!

jepcho

My max is 40 and inside of that im looking for the best shot. But I really like to get them inside of 15 if I can. It my favorite thing having a strutter in that close.