OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by PASTRUTTER21, February 02, 2016, 03:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasquatch1

Quote from: silvestris on February 14, 2016, 01:38:09 AM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 14, 2016, 12:22:48 AM

Quote from: silvestris on February 13, 2016, 10:00:54 PM
I was taught that selfishness was a virtue when it comes to turkeys.  Take or point another turkey hunter to your honey hole and next year you get the chance to meet his friends and ad infinidum.  That being said, I have by chance met some nice guys who I have put on turkeys on rare occasions and I smiled when they left a thank you note and a feather under my wiper blade.  But, still, it is not wise to make a it a habit.

Ill just find another place. There's 50 states and many of them have a honey hole somewhere

Yes, but you have to find them and that takes diligence, diligence that a real turkey hunter performs for himself.  I have a strong distaste for crutches.

No, as I'm sure when it comes to your wife/wanting new floors or furniture or something you all of a sudden have the funds. A little gas don't hurt anyone that WANTS it bad enough.

However what I will do is pick you up on my way through an u can ride with me, I'd be more than happy to help you out too.

sasquatch1

Quote from: buzzardroost on February 14, 2016, 01:41:10 PM

Quote from: Rockhound on February 14, 2016, 12:15:30 PM
Quote from: hobbes on February 14, 2016, 10:56:26 AM
I've never hunted TN.  I've hunted fairly close in KY, AL, and Southern IL.  My brother lived in eastern TN in Crossville for 4 yrs and my sister lives in Dyersburg now.  The idea that it's an "unfriendly" state based off of a few forum posts is ludicrous same as the idea that TN has had such an increase in nonresident hunters that residents can't fill tags.

Those stories typically come from folks that would have trouble filling tags at Tyson Farms.

We are very friendly here and I'm not against anyone coming here to hunt, but it has had an effect on resident hunting not only out of staters, but people from other parts of the state. The worst problem is people posting crucial info on open public forum for the world to see. I have honestly seen 1 guy ruin 12000 acres in a season by posting open info on the net. I would hunt all season and not see a handful of people, now there are people running everywhere, crawling behind decoys, 5 or 6 blinds in a field. It's bad honestly, and the people from the 3 southern middle tn counties (me included ) that have witnessed an almost total extinction of turkeys in those 3 counties,  that can't be explained are scared to give away any info on other places.

Honestly those 3 counties use to be covered in birds, I have access to tons of land, it wouldn't be nothing special to hear upwards of 30 different gobblers of a morning from one ridge, an in 1 season it dropped 95% and now you can't find a bird. Nobody can explain, and it's almost as if the agencies don't care.

I won't lie, it's hard for me to willingly give out any info on any wma I may hunt, because it's not somewhere I might go, if I want to turkey hunt it's where I HAVE to go.
. Amen brother. Sounds like you are referring to the same kid I was. Surprised he hasn't been mugged or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They haven't disappeared from being killed by hunters!

aaron

if you guys think the turkey hunting invasion into tennessee is bad.......you should see all the tennessee plates up and down the ohio backroads the first two weeks of november!  Good lord.

hobbes

Quote from: aaron on February 14, 2016, 04:42:03 PM
if you guys think the turkey hunting invasion into tennessee is bad.......you should see all the tennessee plates up and down the ohio backroads the first two weeks of november!  Good lord.

I suspect it's similar to the KY, TN, and AL plates in Southern IL. 

If I gave the impression I was offended, that wasn't my intention.

I don't typically point out hotspots, but instead give a good generaly direction on where to find birds.  However, I'm not hunting public land that I'm alone on.  I'm somewhat protective of that kind of info also, and I sure as heck wouldn't post it where everyone can see.  I'm even more protective of elk info than turkeys because they are so danged hard to come by with a bow.

I will at times help traveling folks with general information on turkeys in a region that I have hunted if they are already planning to hunt it, but a lot of times those are western regions that don't get near the pressure that midwest and southern public land gets.  In addition, I remember how much I wanted to kill a Merriam's back when I lived in IL, so I try to help folks out on occasion that I know are more than likely on a one time hunt.  If not, there are plenty of other folks already hunting it, so I'm not changing the hunter numbers anyway.

I'm not quite as generous with the public land I hunt in Southern IL except for select individuals.  And I've taken or pointed out birds for plenty of guys back home, but again they were guys that I already had experience with.  Those are tougher birds to hunt.

Rockhound

Quote from: hobbes on February 14, 2016, 12:38:18 PM
I've seen some insanity on public land.  What you describe doesnt sound like much fun.  Ive hunted public better than 90% of the time in multiple states.  The kind of decrease in turkey numbers you are describing does not come from hunting.  That kind of decline would have to come from a drastic decline in production rate.

No the decline in my area was not from hunting, it is from disease, they have had several birds in the area found dead test positive for blackhead. But they continually let farmers spread unheated chicken crap on every field around.  It will never get any better.

sasquatch1

Quote from: hobbes on February 14, 2016, 05:01:56 PM

I don't typically point out hotspots, but instead give a good generaly direction on where to find birds.  However, I'm not hunting public land that I'm alone on.  I'm somewhat protective of that kind of info also, and I sure as heck wouldn't post it where everyone can see.  I'm even more protective of elk info than turkeys because they are so danged hard to come by with a bow.

I will at times help traveling folks with general information on turkeys in a region that I have hunted if they are already planning to hunt it, but a lot of times those are western regions that don't get near the pressure that midwest and southern public land gets.  In addition, I remember how much I wanted to kill a Merriam's back when I lived in IL, so I try to help folks out on occasion that I know are more than likely on a one time hunt.  If not, there are plenty of other folks already hunting it, so I'm not changing the hunter numbers anyway.

I'm not quite as generous with the public land I hunt in Southern IL except for select individuals.  And I've taken or pointed out birds for plenty of guys back home, but again they were guys that I already had experience with.  Those are tougher birds to hunt.

Yea but saying   
"middle Tennessee" is giving out GPS coordinates apparently, and it happens to be the coordinates everyone else hunts too, even though you've never seen the ones who claim to have always hunted there since the beginning of time.

It would be a much nicer and peaceful plave if all hunters could just get along and help each other out. If you don't want to help that's fine, don't respond to a help wanted post. However don't condemn someone for trying to lend a helping hand.  There's alot more to life than worrying about what and where everyone else will be come turkey season that's for sure.

And when all you tennessee guys have no more turkeys to hunt, don't worry, ill give you pointers to Ms and La so u can come on down here. But I'm sure you wouldn't stay long and go right back to the "turkey less" Tennessee.

Rockhound

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 14, 2016, 02:56:38 PM
Where I hunt I have ALWAYS run into people. People who haven't killed anything! Yet I still kill. Alot of set up on a field edge with a decoy and "hope" mentality is what I've seen. I guess I've ruined it but I still kill. Even after it's been so called ruined!

No,your not the one that's posted all the info, I know where you hunt and I've killed a few birds there myself. You should have hunted it 5 or 6 years ago it was a completely different place than now, I still hunt it some after the first couple of weeks.

Rockhound

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 14, 2016, 07:33:28 PM

Quote from: hobbes on February 14, 2016, 05:01:56 PM

Yea but saying   
"middle Tennessee" is giving out GPS coordinates apparently, and it happens to be the coordinates everyone else hunts too, even though you've never seen the ones who claim to have always hunted there since the beginning of time.

It would be a much nicer and peaceful plave if all hunters could just get along and help each other out. If you don't want to help that's fine, don't respond to a help wanted post. However don't condemn someone for trying to lend a helping hand.  There's alot more to life than worrying about what and where everyone else will be come turkey season that's for sure.

And when all you tennessee guys have no more turkeys to hunt, don't worry, ill give you pointers to Ms and La so u can come on down here. But I'm sure you wouldn't stay long and go right back to the "turkey less" Tennessee.

Hey if it's somewhere with plenty of land I can get away to myself I'd be all for it. I'm not against helping people just not on open forum. I gave gobble nut information when he was in tn a couple years ago but he was on a wma that has went downhill with the 3 counties that I was talking about earlier. I'd be honored to hunt with you when you come up if I'm free. Id hunt the wma more, but I've lucked up on private land the last couple years.

turkey_slayer

I think the main reason is because it's hard to kill 4 birds. Most never do. You may find 10 before the season but you ain't going to have them all to yourself. Even with the thousands of acres to hunt the majority of the land does not hold turkeys. They are in pockets and it's hard to give up the location of those pockets. There's a few guys I will but I know I can trust them. I run into another out of stater every year and when we run into each other we share info where we've been seeing hunters and hearing birds then we let each know where we're going so not to step on each other's toes. I'm just speaking for the eastern part that I hunt. The central and western part have a higher population supposedly but I've never ventured out there nor know how much public is available

PASTRUTTER21

Wow I didn't mean to open up a giant can of worms here. I thought we all loved hunting turkeys and loved that others share our same passion. No biggy I am a hard enough hunter I will just figure it out on my own then I will enjoy it more and everybody wins!!!!

turkeybow

I understand to some extent in helping non residents to your spots but that's not what most are looking for.  I live in W TN and I get contacted a pretty good bit by non residents trying to hunt around here as I am a wildlife officer.  With that being said your very wrong in thinking that the agency doesn't care about the decline in those areas.  If that's so why has the agency been doing studies and work trying to figure out the cause?  If you ask me the state needs to be broke up into zones just like it is for deer.  Allow some counties to harvest more birds than others and some less.  I have traveled to other states trying to get info and its very hard.  I understand that but when I go I'm looking to kill and be done.  Don't plan on returning as I would go to a different state first.  Hard info is Florida!  I've tried everything....co-workers, employees with the FL agency, friends, etc. and can't get no where except paying an outfitter.  I live 30 min S of hobbes sister but I'm not opposed to helping a non resident to a spot on public land that I don't hunt or in exchange for a hunt in their state.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

southern_leo

Quote from: turkeybow on February 16, 2016, 10:57:18 AM
I understand to some extent in helping non residents to your spots but that's not what most are looking for.  I live in W TN and I get contacted a pretty good bit by non residents trying to hunt around here as I am a wildlife officer.  With that being said your very wrong in thinking that the agency doesn't care about the decline in those areas.  If that's so why has the agency been doing studies and work trying to figure out the cause?  If you ask me the state needs to be broke up into zones just like it is for deer.  Allow some counties to harvest more birds than others and some less.  I have traveled to other states trying to get info and its very hard.  I understand that but when I go I'm looking to kill and be done.  Don't plan on returning as I would go to a different state first.  Hard info is Florida!  I've tried everything....co-workers, employees with the FL agency, friends, etc. and can't get no where except paying an outfitter.  I live 30 min S of hobbes sister but I'm not opposed to helping a non resident to a spot on public land that I don't hunt or in exchange for a hunt in their state.
I do like the idea of zones. It may not be fun while in place if they are restrictive, but if it would help the overall long term goal of a better population I think that's a good idea.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RemingtonRules

Tennessee  (Read 1638 times)

Think people are not listening for info?

kyturkeyhunter4

I don't care to help any one out, there's plenty of turkeys for all of us. There's plenty public places to hunt in every state that has birds. It's not always about killing birds, it's about making new friends and just to be able to get out and just hunt different places. To many selfish people out there we should help hunters out, that's what this site was intended to do. I read the first couple of post on this subject I was shocked at the responses. We should help each other out not be negative like what I seen.

turkey_slayer

^^^ Care to point me to some spots in eastern Kentucky ol buddy ol pal lol.  Helping people is one thing. Giving away spots is another. This isn't nothing new. My grandpa always said never tell anyone where you are killing your squirrels, catching your fish or digging your herbs cause someone will be there. This was a man born in 1907 and obviously way before the internet so this thinking has been ingrained in people for probably centuries. The internet makes it even worse. One guy blabs and thousands read it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk