only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by PASTRUTTER21, February 02, 2016, 03:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 14, 2016, 12:22:48 AM

Quote from: silvestris on February 13, 2016, 10:00:54 PM
I was taught that selfishness was a virtue when it comes to turkeys.  Take or point another turkey hunter to your honey hole and next year you get the chance to meet his friends and ad infinidum.  That being said, I have by chance met some nice guys who I have put on turkeys on rare occasions and I smiled when they left a thank you note and a feather under my wiper blade.  But, still, it is not wise to make a it a habit.

Ill just find another place. There's 50 states and many of them have a honey hole somewhere

Yes, but you have to find them and that takes diligence, diligence that a real turkey hunter performs for himself.  I have a strong distaste for crutches.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Rockhound

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 14, 2016, 12:22:48 AM

Quote from: silvestris on February 13, 2016, 10:00:54 PM
I was taught that selfishness was a virtue when it comes to turkeys.  Take or point another turkey hunter to your honey hole and next year you get the chance to meet his friends and ad infinidum.  That being said, I have by chance met some nice guys who I have put on turkeys on rare occasions and I smiled when they left a thank you note and a feather under my wiper blade.  But, still, it is not wise to make a it a habit.

Ill just find another place. There's 50 states and many of them have a honey hole somewhere

And what about us selfish Tennessee hunters that can't afford to travel to other states? You gonna chip in so we can get another bird? If you are I want to be first on the list.

Shoot2thrill25

Well I was considering tn for a turkey trip in '17 but it's not lookin to friendly down there. I'm considering a few other states but am gonna have to find another place to get some info I guess. This forum is helpful on a lot of things, but not info on other states. Good luck op, if you find out anything useful let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southern_leo

Quote from: Shoot2thrill25 on February 14, 2016, 06:50:17 AM
Well I was considering tn for a turkey trip in '17 but it's not lookin to friendly down there. I'm considering a few other states but am gonna have to find another place to get some info I guess. This forum is helpful on a lot of things, but not info on other states. Good luck op, if you find out anything useful let me know.

Tn is very friendly. I've lived here my whole life and I have traveled alot and rarely have I ever met the quality of people I know here so please do not insult us by saying we don't seem friendly based on a couple of forum responses. Now onto hunting our birds. I agree some on here unfortunately could have been a little more polite about it, but TN used to be known as a hot spot. When people started preaching it on the Internet the state experienced a flood of out of state hunters that from my understanding have made a very noticeable population drop in the turkeys, where now a lot of residents are having difficulty now filling tags each year while others are still coming in hunting our birds. That's why I believe we should have certain areas reserved only for residents and think that's a good idea for all states. All states should welcome other hunters but each states wildlife management agency should also take care of their own also.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

I hunted Tenn. public land couple years ago were several residents in camp and they were very friendly and had no problem with me being there we had good ol time can't wait to go back could care less if kill a bird just enjoy the fun and meeting new people

hobbes

I've never hunted TN.  I've hunted fairly close in KY, AL, and Southern IL.  My brother lived in eastern TN in Crossville for 4 yrs and my sister lives in Dyersburg now.  The idea that it's an "unfriendly" state based off of a few forum posts is ludicrous same as the idea that TN has had such an increase in nonresident hunters that residents can't fill tags.

Those stories typically come from folks that would have trouble filling tags at Tyson Farms.

Rockhound

Quote from: hobbes on February 14, 2016, 10:56:26 AM
I've never hunted TN.  I've hunted fairly close in KY, AL, and Southern IL.  My brother lived in eastern TN in Crossville for 4 yrs and my sister lives in Dyersburg now.  The idea that it's an "unfriendly" state based off of a few forum posts is ludicrous same as the idea that TN has had such an increase in nonresident hunters that residents can't fill tags.

Those stories typically come from folks that would have trouble filling tags at Tyson Farms.

We are very friendly here and I'm not against anyone coming here to hunt, but it has had an effect on resident hunting not only out of staters, but people from other parts of the state. The worst problem is people posting crucial info on open public forum for the world to see. I have honestly seen 1 guy ruin 12000 acres in a season by posting open info on the net. I would hunt all season and not see a handful of people, now there are people running everywhere, crawling behind decoys, 5 or 6 blinds in a field. It's bad honestly, and the people from the 3 southern middle tn counties (me included ) that have witnessed an almost total extinction of turkeys in those 3 counties,  that can't be explained are scared to give away any info on other places.

Honestly those 3 counties use to be covered in birds, I have access to tons of land, it wouldn't be nothing special to hear upwards of 30 different gobblers of a morning from one ridge, an in 1 season it dropped 95% and now you can't find a bird. Nobody can explain, and it's almost as if the agencies don't care.

I won't lie, it's hard for me to willingly give out any info on any wma I may hunt, because it's not somewhere I might go, if I want to turkey hunt it's where I HAVE to go.

hobbes

I've seen some insanity on public land.  What you describe doesnt sound like much fun.  Ive hunted public better than 90% of the time in multiple states.  The kind of decrease in turkey numbers you are describing does not come from hunting.  That kind of decline would have to come from a drastic decline in production rate.

Shoot2thrill25

Didn't mean to offend you all. Sorry if I did. I wasn't referring to all Tennesseans, apologies. Just when you see people saying selfishness is a virtue it strikes a nerve. I understand that no one wants there spots to be over run with hunters, but if it gets to a point where selfishness is a virtue, I'm out. Again my apologies for any offense given.

Hooksfan

Agreed, Hobbes. Something else is going on to cause that sort or decline and would just about have to be some sort of outbreak for it to happen in a single season, as poor reproduction would take several years.
As far as the rest of the conversation, I am in the camp with the Tennessee boys.
I bet, instead of someone wanting a free handout from strangers, if a fella was to offer up a quality hunt swap, there would be a different reception from these same guys.

GobbleNut

From a general information standpoint for out-of-staters that might be contemplating a do-it-yourself, public-land hunt in TN:   I hunted south-central TN two years ago,...hunted a full week with two other guys.  I will say I was shocked at the amount of great looking habitat there that appeared to be devoid of turkeys,...very little turkey sign and almost no gobbling going on.  The few gobblers we did find (covering LOTS of ground) generally had other hunters on them already. 

I'm sure there are probably some great places to hunt in TN, and I had/have heard great things about the hunting there,...but, boy, were we surprised at the apparent lack of birds in the area we hunted.  My advice to anybody planning on going there on a DIY hunt would be to do some serious research and homework before going. 

buzzardroost

Quote from: Rockhound on February 14, 2016, 12:15:30 PM

We are very friendly here and I'm not against anyone coming here to hunt, but it has had an effect on resident hunting not only out of staters, but people from other parts of the state. The worst problem is people posting crucial info on open public forum for the world to see. I have honestly seen 1 guy ruin 12000 acres in a season by posting open info on the net. I would hunt all season and not see a handful of people, now there are people running everywhere, crawling behind decoys, 5 or 6 blinds in a field. It's bad honestly, and the people from the 3 southern middle tn counties (me included ) that have witnessed an almost total extinction of turkeys in those 3 counties,  that can't be explained are scared to give away any info on other places.

Honestly those 3 counties use to be covered in birds, I have access to tons of land, it wouldn't be nothing special to hear upwards of 30 different gobblers of a morning from one ridge, an in 1 season it dropped 95% and now you can't find a bird. Nobody can explain, and it's almost as if the agencies don't care.

I won't lie, it's hard for me to willingly give out any info on any wma I may hunt, because it's not somewhere I might go, if I want to turkey hunt it's where I HAVE to go.
. Amen brother. Sounds like you are referring to the same kid I was. Surprised he hasn't been mugged or something.

sasquatch1

Where I hunt I have ALWAYS run into people. People who haven't killed anything! Yet I still kill. Alot of set up on a field edge with a decoy and "hope" mentality is what I've seen. I guess I've ruined it but I still kill. Even after it's been so called ruined!

sasquatch1

I haven't seen the harvest reports show that a whole bunch more birds are being killed. Just alot of ppl who are use to not many hunters. Come on down to louisiana public and try it out. Y'all don't know how good y'all have it.

silvestris

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 14, 2016, 02:57:48 PM
I haven't seen the harvest reports show that a whole bunch more birds are being killed. Just alot of ppl who are use to not many hunters. Come on down to louisiana public and try it out. Y'all don't know how good y'all have it.

Amen.  If yo live and hunt Louisiana or Southwest Mississippi, you learn quickly to keep your lip zipped.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game