OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pick the best yelp

Started by jwright8, February 01, 2016, 06:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwright8

I know these still need A LOT of work, but my yelping with the clear front is slowly getting better. Which of these 3 yelps sound best to you?

http://soundcloud.com/justin-wright-149/yelping-3-diffrent-calls

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

guesswho

#3 out of those.    But I think #2 has more potential than #3.   I'm far from an expert ear on this, but to me I'd slow the cadence down to get rid of the dog bark and extend the high/front end slightly before dropping off.   In my opinion #2 will become the better  of the three.   Your definitely on the right track.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bowguy

I think the reeds on the calls you're using are too tight for you. Also are you closing your mouth each yelp? Seems you're huffing air through call but not able to control it yet. It's all normal. Mouth calls take some time. Imo don't worry too much about perfecting the ends of the call right now.

Jbird22

I liked #3 better as well and agree with Bowguy that you just need to refine your air control a little. I'm not sure which calls you were using but I'd try a 2.5 reed v or 3 reed all proph combo cut to gain better control of your air. Also, try what guesswho suggested and slow down a little. I'd think that would help with control as well. Once you can learn to control the slower notes you can always pick up the pace.

jwright8

Yea I tend to get to fast if I'm not careful. I'm am not really new to mouth calling. I am just trying to get the front end. And am kinda back at square one. These were also brand new calls. And I'm not sure if they are for me yet.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

#3 is best of the group, but I'm guessing it's the reed configuration that makes the difference. DON'T fall into the trap of trying to run before you can walk - if you know what I mean. Master the basic yelp 1st. Don't get distracted by wanting to cut, cackle, putt etc. while your learning the mechanics of air flow. That will drive you nuts! Like Guesswho said... S L O W down on the cadence. All 3 still sound like there's an air seal / tongue pressure issue (that's the hardest hurdle).

Work on getting a good seal, good fit, clean yelp. Clean can be raspy, it just means the air flow is directed across the reeds and not all around them. You're almost there...good luck!!