turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

12 gauge 2 3/4 Federal heavyweight

Started by Aim@it, January 30, 2016, 09:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aim@it

I have searched for performance , patterns etc . using a 2 3/4 chamber 12 ga. With the Federal 1 1/4 oz. Heavyweight cartridge. Would appreciate info from anyone that uses this combo.

born2hunt

My dad refuses to hunt with any shotgun other than his daddy's old wingmaster, it's a 26 in improved barrel. Its 30 yard patterns with plain lead #6s were weak to say the least. I bought a box of Fed 7s for him last season and they put up 130s at 30 yards. Now that's not incredible but its solid, and a big improvement from lead. He shot one bird with them at 25 yards and they flat out knocked it for a flip. I have my other grandad's Ithaca mod 37 with a 30 in full barrel that I want to shoot some through this year. It should do pretty well, hoping for an ok 40 yard pattern.

I have no doubt with a good tube you could get some decent hunting patters past 30.

I've also seen some guys on here get decent patterns with the Win Roosters. I wanna try some of them as well.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Aim@it

Thanks for the info B2H. I am so old school I didn't know about the Win. Rooster cartridge. Hope someone with experience from using both the Wins. And Feds. Will chime in with the performance they have had with these loads in 12 - 2 3/4.

Izzyjoe

I have an old high standard pointer 12ga that does pretty well with Fed mag shock 2.75 #5's 1.5oz., but the recoil was pretty lively, but not as bad as 3" turkey loads. I love to use the old shotguns as well, and glad they still make good loads for them, or I would forced to reload some.

cljohnson24

I too am curious to hear if this load will put 100+ in 10@40yds, as my dad uses a Win 1400 2.75 12 gauge for everything. He gets right at 97/10" @ 40 with win super x cheapie1.5 oz #6's. But obviously the Fed HW7 would give him a bit more penetration and less recoil.