OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Project 20!

Started by chatterbox, January 30, 2016, 10:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Hey guys!

Started working on a project that I hope is gonna pan out.
I just pulled my old H and R 20 ga out to get it ready for my little girl. She's a small 13 year old, so I figured I would get some 2 3/4 "7.5 for her for turkey season, but will start her on high brass 9's to get her used to it.
I just spent an hour deep cleaning the barrel, and she shines like a mirror!
I would like to use Federal Heviweight 7's in 2 3/4, but I worry it will hurt her too much.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

NYshotgunner

Put some sort of recoil pad on for her, plenty of good slip on's out there.
"Don't go pokin' at it, don't over think it"
NRA Life Member, Veteran

chatterbox

Good ideas guys!
Keep them coming!  :icon_thumright:

jordanz7935

Love the h&r 20s!I got a full camo youth topper last summer.It will be my 5 yr old daughters firt gobbler gun!Dad might have to test it on one this yr!Great little guns. What choke do u have? If you have a full any high brass 2&3/4 #6 or 7 1/2 will do the job out to 30 yds but I wouldn't push it further than that.The 2&3/4 HWs would definitely give u more of a "fudge factor" past 30 yds for sure. I'm gonna buy a box to try this season because my next youth hunter(my nephew) is a small kid and I don't want him to be recoil shy. As you know the 3" mags have a lot of recoil in those lightweight 20s. I shot his little Rossi last weekend with a skeet load and it rocked me pretty good.Needless to say he enjoyed shooting my 870 over the 2 single shot 20's we had @ the range that day.Great luck to you and your daughter this year!And let u know which shell you decide on.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Lucky#7 on January 30, 2016, 10:23:26 AM
I wouldn't worry about the recoil from the 2 3/4 HWT. Let her kill some targets with the #9 loads, and when hunting time comes, put the HWT in, and let her rip. She will never know, when there is a bird at the other end of the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^this^^^^^

mnbeardbuster

Here's my daughter's H&R.  She was 8 when she first shot this gun.  I agree with the comments regarding the use of target loads for shooting sessions and then stepping up to your go to load when it's time to hunt.  I had my daughter shooting 3" Hevi 7's in this gun.  She would comment on the recoil after she shot her birds but it never deterred her from wanting to continue with hunting.  If you upgrade the stock to the monte carlo version, Limbsaver makes a recoil pad for it.  This stock will also help if you have optics. 

chatterbox

Quote from: mnbeardbuster on January 30, 2016, 03:57:49 PM
Here's my daughter's H&R.  She was 8 when she first shot this gun.  I agree with the comments regarding the use of target loads for shooting sessions and then stepping up to your go to load when it's time to hunt.  I had my daughter shooting 3" Hevi 7's in this gun.  She would comment on the recoil after she shot her birds but it never deterred her from wanting to continue with hunting.  If you upgrade the stock to the monte carlo version, Limbsaver makes a recoil pad for it.  This stock will also help if you have optics.
Great idea! Is there enough metal to drill and tap for a red dot?

Matt81302

I have my old NEF pardner 20ga barrel at Sumtoy right now. He is threading the barrel for chokes and tapping it so I can put a red dot on it. I have no clue what to expect. Looking forward to messing around with it. Good luck with yours.

mnbeardbuster

On a 20ga, there is plenty of metal for tapping. 

chatterbox

Gonna contact a gunsmith Monday, and get a price on a 2 hole drill and tap.
My idea is to put a 336 base on her, and throw a FFII on top.