OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 11-87!

Started by Izzyjoe, January 28, 2016, 07:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzyjoe

I bought a new to me 11-87 premier from a fellow from work, I had seen the gun years ago and he said he wanted to sell it, so I jumped on it. It has a 28" barrel, and the barrel says Light contour do not modify, so I'm not sure if I should shoot turkey loads in it? The first thing I did was a complete strip down and clean, and it was gunky inside, so I assume it's never been strip down and cleaned.  I need to replace the bolt buffer, o-ring, and it will be ready to go. I took out the choke, and it's marked full steel and lead, I was hoping it would have been mod. cause I don't have one. But its a real nice shotgun, and I've been looking for one for awhile , so now I'm happy, can't wait to burn some powder!

turkeywhisperer935

Not sure what light contour means but I don't think turkey shells will hurt it.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Izzyjoe on January 28, 2016, 07:50:16 PM
I bought a new to me 11-87 premier from a fellow from work, I had seen the gun years ago and he said he wanted to sell it, so I jumped on it. It has a 28" barrel, and the barrel says Light contour do not modify, so I'm not sure if I should shoot turkey loads in it? The first thing I did was a complete strip down and clean, and it was gunky inside, so I assume it's never been strip down and cleaned.  I need to replace the bolt buffer, o-ring, and it will be ready to go. I took out the choke, and it's marked full steel and lead, I was hoping it would have been mod. cause I don't have one. But its a real nice shotgun, and I've been looking for one for awhile , so now I'm happy, can't wait to burn some powder!
Congratulations. You have a fine shotgun. The "light countour" barrel has a smaller outside diameter than the standard Rem-Choke barrel and usually has a very good finish both inside and out. It can handle any load for which the barrel is chambered. One of the finest Remington barrels I've ever owned was a light contour barrel.

I also congratulate you for stripping down that gun and thoroughly cleaning it. I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the bore http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/tagged/cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel as well. You'll want to make sure to keep the exterior of the magazine tube dry. Some folks want to oil that part, it's stainless steel but it only attracts dirt when you do that.

Having a spare "O" ring handy is a good idea but most 11-87s will function without one when you're shooting turkey loads.

As far as turkey loads and chokes, you have a very wide choice.

Again, congratulations and enjoy your new 11-87.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Oconeeguy

I second Clarks remarks. I bought a worn out 11-87 a few years ago, cleaned thouroughly, replaced some of the internal components and it shoots flawlessly, and softly. You will like yours.

Izzyjoe

I did notice it was light, and points well, reminds me of my old wingmaster with the 26" imp cyl plain barrel. Just light and handy! I'm going to deep clean the bore, as a matter of fact I'm Gona do two others as well while I'm doing it, I'm trying to run down a buffer and o-ring so I can shoot it this weekend, but not having any luck.

Old Gobbler

Like mentioned the light contour barrels have a slimmer outside diameter , I remember when Remington came out with them they advised not to have any forcing cone work or over bore them , I suppose the loss of steel would / could result in a catastrophic failure
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Izzyjoe

I finally got a chance to shot my 11-87, I really like it. I fired 50rds of Rem sts target loads, and 10rds of my 7/8 oz hand loads, and it never missed a lick! I will say the recoil pad is hard brown rubber, and will be replaced by something else, but I've not decided on that yet. Now I want a new choke for turkey hunting, and I'm trying to decide on that also.  I think I'd like to try the jellyhead, but I may pick up something like undertaker, or a tightwad. I'm using Lb 6's in my 870, so I may try the choke I have in it.

maytom

I use to have one, but for some reason the shell extractor would take bites out of the brass rim on any shells in the gun. Didn't care for that at all, ended up going with a Winchester 1300 instead.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Izzyjoe on February 13, 2016, 02:45:53 PM
I finally got a chance to shot my 11-87, I really like it. I fired 50rds of Rem sts target loads, and 10rds of my 7/8 oz hand loads, and it never missed a lick! I will say the recoil pad is hard brown rubber, and will be replaced by something else, but I've not decided on that yet. Now I want a new choke for turkey hunting, and I'm trying to decide on that also.  I think I'd like to try the jellyhead, but I may pick up something like undertaker, or a tightwad. I'm using Lb 6's in my 870, so I may try the choke I have in it.

It's always wise to try what you have before investing in another choke tube. If that one does not give you the patterns you're looking for, I'd recommend that you give the SSX a look. It does very well in Rem-Choke guns like your 11-87.

Thanks,
Clark

Izzyjoe

Wow, if I'm looking at the same choke, it's .643 that seems kinda tight! I'd like to try one and sees how it does.

gtrjames

My Remington is partial to the Carlson's Hevi-13 tube

Izzyjoe

My Carlson Xr LB 660 just came in, I can't wait to try it.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Izzyjoe on February 29, 2016, 10:33:50 PM
Wow, if I'm looking at the same choke, it's .643 that seems kinda tight! I'd like to try one and sees how it does.

It's really all about the internal geometry of the coke and not just the exit diameter. It does exceptionally well.
http://allaboutshooting.com/products/12-gauge-ssx-rem-choke-74
Thanks,
Clark

5arraquiver

Any 3in shell recommendations with the rem ssx choke? Would there be a different recommendation for 20 to 30yd shots?
Shooting an 1187 also
Questions? Answer: Jesus

Izzyjoe

With that tight of choke, I'd recommend the Fed. Hw #7's. And maybe Lb #6's if you want a real tight pattern. I think .660 is about as tight as I would try, I want a good even hunting pattern, not a super tight one intended for still shooting.