turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Underrated, Underestimated 20 Ga.

Started by Eric Gregg, January 28, 2016, 02:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Gregg

I went to a store this morning to try to pick up one of the Tru-Glo SSX chokes for my 20 just to have one for myself. In looking at the selection the store had only a couple of options for 20Ga shooters. I wonder if store owners don't realize the popularity that the 20 has with many turkey hunters and the devastating results you can get with the right load and right choke.
I feel like a part of a small fraternity of brothers who have realized the potency of the 20

VaBoy

MK M GOBL

I can see this from both sides of the coin, as a retailer we stock a "number" of 20ga turkey tubes and shells also have to have some 10ga too, but for the most part customers use a 12ga... Now we are able to order something if a customer is looking for a specific item but when it comes down to having it in-house the item has to have a number of turns to take up floor space. When it comes down to it if an item doesn't sell as well we end up marking it down to move it and replace with another. As a customer believe me I have to even shop outside of the store to get items I want, we don't carry it all and never could. Market demand has a big role in the items we stock... Nature of the beast. 

MK M GOBL

357MAGNOLE

I would like to get one, as I would like something smaller/lighter and easier to maneuver the woods with but still capable of hitting good shots out to 30-35 yards.

I don't know where to start really.  I was really digging the Thompson Pro Hunter, but not so sure about the $800 price tag on a single shot. I don't want to spend too much, as I am not sure how much I will enjoy shooting the 20 gauge over the 12 I have now. I also have two young boys that can take advantage of the 20 gauge later in life so its not a waste of money, but no need to dump 1K into a build.

I don't care if its pump or semi.  But I would love something with the sureshot stock, drilled/tapped for a scope/red dot.  I really want something I can hydro dip. So coming out the box with a camo finish doesn't matter to me. Any way... now I am rambling on.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

highball

dirt road ninja

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on January 28, 2016, 04:20:27 PM
I would like to get one, as I would like something smaller/lighter and easier to maneuver the woods with but still capable of hitting good shots out to 30-35 yards.

I don't know where to start really.  I was really digging the Thompson Pro Hunter, but not so sure about the $800 price tag on a single shot. I don't want to spend too much, as I am not sure how much I will enjoy shooting the 20 gauge over the 12 I have now. I also have two young boys that can take advantage of the 20 gauge later in life so its not a waste of money, but no need to dump 1K into a build.

I don't care if its pump or semi.  But I would love something with the sureshot stock, drilled/tapped for a scope/red dot.  I really want something I can hydro dip. So coming out the box with a camo finish doesn't matter to me. Any way... now I am rambling on.

If all your looking for is 30-35 yards out of a 20 gauge that is very easily obtainable with very little effort. 40 yards is a very realistic goal with a 20 gauge with very little effort, again. HTL will make the job much easier and you probably would need a very expensive choke to get there.

The Shurshot stock is only available for Remington's, so if you want that stock that's the way your going to have to go. To keep it small and light, I'd recommend a used youth 11-87 or a youth 870 with the 21" barrel. I doubt you'll find a 20 with the shurshot already on it, so you'll have to order one as well as have the gun drilled and tapped if a scope is something your interested in. I've got a youth 11-87 with an SSX that puts up mid 130's with Hevi 13 7's all day. It's like carrying a toy.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Eric Gregg on January 28, 2016, 02:55:45 PM
I went to a store this morning to try to pick up one of the Tru-Glo SSX chokes for my 20 just to have one for myself. In looking at the selection the store had only a couple of options for 20Ga shooters. I wonder if store owners don't realize the popularity that the 20 has with many turkey hunters and the devastating results you can get with the right load and right choke.
I feel like a part of a small fraternity of brothers who have realized the potency of the 20

I remember when I was looking for my sons gun who was 9 years old. The guy I was talking too said they don't use 20's for turkey hunting. He says,Your better off with the 12. At that time he tells me this, I was educated and aware of what the 20 can do. All thanks to OG! Anyway, walking out of the store I say to myself. If they only knew......  And that's it,they don't know.
  Im having trouble giving up my Ol mossy 835. There's a lot of sentimental value there. However... I have a sweet MB-500 20ga on deck for this spring. Heads are gonna roll!  :OGturkeyhead:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 28, 2016, 05:17:43 PM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on January 28, 2016, 04:20:27 PM

If all your looking for is 30-35 yards out of a 20 gauge that is very easily obtainable with very little effort. 40 yards is a very realistic goal with a 20 gauge with very little effort, again. HTL will make the job much easier and you probably would need a very expensive choke to get there.

The Shurshot stock is only available for Remington's, so if you want that stock that's the way your going to have to go. To keep it small and light, I'd recommend a used youth 11-87 or a youth 870 with the 21" barrel. I doubt you'll find a 20 with the shurshot already on it, so you'll have to order one as well as have the gun drilled and tapped if a scope is something your interested in. I've got a youth 11-87 with an SSX that puts up mid 130's with Hevi 13 7's all day. It's like carrying a toy.
there is an 870 youth at my local Wallyworld for $249.00. So you are telling me that the 870 youth will fit the sure shot stock? I am pretty sure I have seen in a couple places that the sure shot only fit the 870 12 gauges and 11/87's. If people can confirm for me that the youth 270 fits I'll buy it this week.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Greg Massey

Yes they make a sure shot that will fit the 20 ga. Youth model 870 the number is 19533 and its 69.99 at Midway Usa

Spring Fever

I have a Shur shot on my youth 870. And fits like a dream. The only thing I can tell you with putting that stock on you will have to put a scope or red dot on it, because the comb sits higher on that stock and your line of sight is too high for the iron sights.
Make sure you get the one listed for 20 gauge.

357MAGNOLE

cramerhunts

Does anyone know if the truglo integrated saddle mount will fit a youth 870 20 gauge? I just picked up one (youth 870 20) and was wondering if my red dot setup from my 870 12 would work. Also have heard some say you can't run a ported choke with the heavies and some say you can, any clarification there would be great as well.

Thanks and sorry for the thread hijack.

R AJ

You bring this up right when I was fixing to order an 8 ga. 5" magnum. :newmascot:

dirt road ninja

Quote from: cramerhunts on January 28, 2016, 11:55:47 PM
. Also have heard some say you can't run a ported choke with the heavies and some say you can, any clarification there would be great as well.

Anything with Federal's Flight Control wad is the only shell(s) I'm aware of that recommend a non-ported choke. They also don't recommend using choke with wad strippers. Nothing bad will happen if you so long as your choke is rated for HTL, but performance might suffer.

cramerhunts

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 29, 2016, 10:48:41 AM
Quote from: cramerhunts on January 28, 2016, 11:55:47 PM
. Also have heard some say you can't run a ported choke with the heavies and some say you can, any clarification there would be great as well.

Anything with Federal's Flight Control wad is the only shell(s) I'm aware of that recommend a non-ported choke. They also don't recommend using choke with wad strippers. Nothing bad will happen if you so long as your choke is rated for HTL, but performance might suffer.

Thank you for the information, that makes sense.