OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deep clean...wow

Started by wmn2, January 27, 2016, 06:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

What 357 did doesn't seem like "polishing" to me. Polishing requires abrasives, and metal removal. Basically it was a more intensive deep clean. Copper, cotton, and hoppes shouldn't hurt a barrel, even a chrome lined one.

357MAGNOLE

Right. I didn't use any of the polishing compounds I was going for more of a deep clean but was surprised at how much of a mirror like finish I still got.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Longshanks

The polishing that I did was done with specialized tools that start with an aggressive grit and worked down to an extremely fine grit removing quite a bit of material. Long process and done by a gunsmith. Deep cleaning was what I thought he had done to his gun. Allot of the guys on here are using a process to polish with a drill, cleaning rod, steel wool and using compounds to polish. I'm a little hesitant about firing up a drill inside a 1500.00 shotgun. Can't go wrong with deep cleaning as long as you keep the barrel wet throughout the process.

Borden811

Right on. I use the drill with the copper brush and hoppes, and soft green "scrubby" pads, not scotchbrite or steel wool in my guns(benelli autos, a model 13 and an 870). Speeds up the deep cleaning process, and doesn't damage the barrels. Keep it wet, and keep it moving, and you're good to go.