OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deep clean...wow

Started by wmn2, January 27, 2016, 06:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmn2

So I did a deep clean on my sxp tonight. All I can say is wow. Mind you, it's had two shells shot through it before now. I just wanted to thank Clark for the info and show some pictures.
Before

First patch

First patch after scrubbing

And final result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Izzyjoe

Looks great! I cleaned an old single 12, it took several cleanings, and you wouldn't believe what come out of that barrel.

wmn2

I was amazed at what came out of this! New out of the box I shot two just because and all that came out of it. I've got a slug gun that I'd like to deep clean next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Now shoot it in and find what it likes.  Mine shoots best between 5 and 10 shots.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wmn2

Yea I'm curious to see what it likes. Going to wait until it gets alittle warmer. I have a 22-250 I use for coyotes that LOVES being shot dirty. Once i clean it, I always have the first few shots inconsistent because of this. It amazes me sometimes how each gun is different.

Longshanks

I have seen some some significant increases in pellet counts by deep cleaning with lead and HTL. One shotgun I had Beretta Urika would shoot Hevi 13 6's, 7's and magblends really well with Pure Gold .670. Deep cleaned it and it only liked 6's after that. After further testing I found it was the Hevi 13 that was inconsistent rather than the deep cleaning process. Had some lead results that seem to be better on the 2nd,3rd, 4th shot. Good luck!

allaboutshooting

The benefits of the deep cleaning process are just as have been discussed. It allows you to see how your bore looks without any "gunk" in the way. it also allows you to start out a patterning session with a clean bore. If you then shoot without cleaning between shots, you'll learn if your bore likes to be squeaky clean, slightly fouled or dirty. It's really the only way to find out.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kdsberman

I've always been (and still am) VERY picky on cleaning all my guns.  But after reading on here about "deep cleaning" and then reading Clark's article on doing it, i honestly think it did wonders for my patterns.  Highly recommended for everyone.

357MAGNOLE

I did a modified version of the deep clean today where I took some ideas from the polishing thread.

I used the copper bristle brushes with hoppes 9 and used my drill for about 10 minutes making several high speed passes. Then using the little cotton/cloth attachment soaked in hoppes 9 for another 5 minutes of high speed cleaning followed by 10-20 passes with a patch.

Results where a barre so polished the picture looks messed up but it's just the barrels high shine reflection of the white wall behind it.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

TeamCF

What is the best way to deep clean? I know I scrub a rifle barrel and all that but I worry I would scratch a shotgun. Your barrel looks great.

357MAGNOLE

I'm not the best to ask. But it depends on the barrel. Chrome barrels won't gain anything from a polish and I would think you would need to be more cautious on how you clean. That was a cheaper 870 barrel and I went to town on it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

TeamCF

I have an 835 and a lot of them say do not do this over threads. The threads are like 3 inches down the barrel in an 835. It has 6 rounds through it I am not trying to mess it up already lol.

Borden811

Put an open choke in the 835, don't clean it without a choke in the gun, and you won't damage the threads. Deep cleaning and polishing are two different things. And chrome barrels will most definitely benefit from deep cleaning.

wmn2

That looks great 357. I wanted to polish mine, but like you said, a chromed barrel won't benefit and you may damage the chrome lining. I never even heard of a deep clean until I started reading on here. Now I've done 2 other guns since my turkey gun.

Longshanks

I have deep cleaned all of my shotguns at least once. Chrome lined barrels clean up allot easier and don't require as much cleaning. I use 20 reps, down and back being 1, on regular barrels and 10 reps on chrome barrels. (15 minute wait with Hoppes in the barrel and repeat, patch out) Amazing difference in the way they pattern. Have only had to polish one barrel and that was a new Rem870 that needed allot of material taken out to get the performance up to par. Thank you to Clark Bush for all the assistance he has given me with my guns.