Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is a "Heavy" bird in your area? (with pics)

Started by MK M GOBL, January 27, 2016, 01:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

So I live in the mid-west (WI) and have hunted a number of states from down south and out west and just wonder what you consider a "Heavy" bird in your area? Birds around here seem to average 22-23 lbs. My heaviest bird was a 3rd season (early May) bird that went 28lbs 6oz. Mostly around here they are considered "Big" at 25-26lbs.

MK M GOBL

"Big Bird" 28.6

MK M GOBL

I have had 2 other birds that topped the 28# mark and one of these was a double that  weighed in at 28lbs 4oz / 1 1/8" spurs / 11 3/4" beard and #2 was 26lbs 2oz / 1 1/8" spur (the other was busted up) / 10 5/8" beard. YUP!!!

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

And this guy was a mid/late may 4th season bird that tipped the scales at 27lbs 5oz, wish I would have taken him during 1st season with a bunch of "Turkey Jello" fat/breast sponge on him.

MK M GOBL

guesswho

Anything topping 20 is a heavy bird around Al/Ga is a big one.   I've seen a lot of 22-24 lb birds around here that in reality is 18-20 lbs.   some are legit, but just as many or more have a fudge factor involved
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dirt road ninja

20 pounds here as well. I've killed really nice birds that didn't go 18 #'s, but were the studs in the area.

OldSchool

Same here, 18-20# is a nice big bird here around home. I've killed a few heavier, but not very many.

Those are some slammers there, congrats. :drool:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

trad bow

Those are some big birds. Congratulations on them. Here in the Ga piedmont the biggest I have seen registered at the local hardware store contest was 24 lb. There are a lot in the twenty to twenty-two lb range. My largest was and early season bird that went 21lb. I got on a lease down in the swamps below the fall line that the four birds I shot there over two seasons only weighed 12-14 lb. All the birds had 10 to 11 1/2" beards and spurs over 1".
Jeff

WildTigerTrout

Mature birds here average 16 to 18 pounds. My largest went 23 pounds even. I have killed three others that were 20 pounds or over. I weigh all my birds and it takes a big gobbler to go 20 pounds! The gobbler in my avatar was 21 pounds.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

WisTurk

I mainly hunt north-central WI, and I would consider a 25 lb bird to be big.  Have got several in the 22-23 lb range, but have yet to break the 25 lb mark.  I know of one guy that got a 27 pounder in western WI, and my buddy got one at 30 lbs in the southwestern part a couple of years ago...unfortunately for him, he was still pretty new at turkey hunting and didn't realize what he had and got the bird cut up before he could have it officially weighed.  Probably would have made the record books with that one with the beard length and spurs thrown in as well.  That's the breaks I guess.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: WisTurk on January 27, 2016, 03:57:07 PM
I mainly hunt north-central WI, and I would consider a 25 lb bird to be big.  Have got several in the 22-23 lb range, but have yet to break the 25 lb mark.  I know of one guy that got a 27 pounder in western WI, and my buddy got one at 30 lbs in the southwestern part a couple of years ago...unfortunately for him, he was still pretty new at turkey hunting and didn't realize what he had and got the bird cut up before he could have it officially weighed.  Probably would have made the record books with that one with the beard length and spurs thrown in as well.  That's the breaks I guess.

I live in Southwestern WI Driftless Area!

strutnva

20 in VA is a good one, some do go over but most that you hear about are just a guess.

jepcho

Here in Iowa we have pretty big birds. The vast majority of the birds I've killed here in Iowa have been over 20, a lot like 21 -23. I would consider 25 and up to be getting real big. I have killed about 4 at the 25 and up mark with the biggest being a giant 30.5 lb bird on opening day of first season back in 2007.

Happy

17-19 pounds is average around here. Anything over that is considered a heavy bird. My personal best is 23 lbs. I killed him about ten years ago. Don't know if I will ever top that if I just hunt around here. Crappy picture but here he is.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

buzzardroost

22-23 is a big one here. 18-19 is average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WisTurk

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 27, 2016, 04:04:27 PM
Quote from: WisTurk on January 27, 2016, 03:57:07 PM

I live in Southwestern WI Driftless Area!

Lafayette County is where he goes.  Quite a few birds down there.