OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Knife sharpner

Started by fallhnt, January 27, 2016, 01:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

Anybody have or use a Work Sharp knife sharpener? I would like to hear your reviews please.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

perrytrails

I've had one for a couple years. Really like it. Will put a great edge that will last on any knife.   

Greg Massey

Best knife sharper you can buy for the money ... first year they came out, i got one and took it to our hunting camp and after that week and 6 of us using it they all bought them one also..you can sharpen axes and hatchets, fillet knifes, and gut hooks etc...

chcltlabz

What's everyone's opinion on the work sharp versus the Ken Onion version?  Is it worth the extra money?
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Greg Massey

No..it's not... you can sharpen everything you want with the work sharp...

Yelper

Been using one for a year now and works great. After I use my knife, it takes me about 30 seconds to re-sharpen it.

monty690

I agree with the above comments. It's a great sharpener.

southern_leo

I just bought one a month or so ago and like it. WATCH THE DVD!!!! Most online reviews I watched people had horrible technique which is funny because it's idiot proof after viewing the dvd. Then keep in mind different blades take different number of passes. Dvd says a certain number of passes on each side but those didn't make my hunting knife much sharper. I continued passes with proper technique and got it done. Basically all proper technique is is starting belt with blade resting at the proper angle then pull through and loft up as it reaches the tip. DON'T APPLY PRESSURE!!! DON'T SHARPEN TIP!!! lift up as it goes to the tip and mine did just fine. Went from having difficulty cleaning a deer to shaving hair off my arm. I like it. No experience with Ken onion addition but can't watched online reviews and don't see justification in price difference. I also got a havalon Piranta now for cleaning but still needed a good sharpener as I like a good fixed blade as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Planner

I'll echo what the others have said- I own one and it keeps my knives sharp.. It's awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Very happy with my standard version for about six years.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TKE921

I use mine for all kitchen knives, fillet knives, etc.  I will not sharpen my really good knives on it because if you screw up once and catch the tip...it is gone.  I did buy some P600 and 1800 belts for it that made it much less likely to destroy a tip.  It takes a bit longer than the 220 to bring a badly used knife back from the brink...but it will get there.  I also like the P600 for use on the end of my strikers.

For my "good" knives I use a Spyderco triangle sharpmaker.  It is much more labor intensive, but will hone a knife to a mirror edge if you get the ultra fine stones.

wvmntnhick

I like the idea but am hesitant to get one for various reasons. As some have said, the tip of the blade can be ruined quite easily if care isn't taken. Also, if one isn't careful and heats the blade by leaving it in contact with the belt for too long, it can degrade the heat treatment of the steel. Again, not likely, but possible. Work sharp has a handheld, manual stone that allows one to lay the blade flat on the guide to get the initial angle. So long as you're using a consistent angle, it'll sharpen anything easily. Had a coarse and fine diamond side, ceramic rod for finishing and fish hooks, as well as a small leather strop. Bought one a while ago. It's sharpened a few filet knives that my wife has all but ruined in the kitchen over the years. I've been very impressed with it. Matter of fact, used it to sharpen a knife that hadn't been sharpened for 10 years. She grabbed it and it flew through whatever she was cutting. She was impressed more than I and agreed it was a good investment. 

MK M GOBL

I own the Ken Onion and it works great! Not having owned the other version I can't speak to them. I like the versatility of it and I also purchased a couple of the attachments for it and am more than pleased with it's performance.

MK M GOBL

Haypatch

I LOVE my worksharp! Could never put a decent edge on my knives til now!

mote1977

I have one for sale in the general classified if you're interested.