OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Visited Mr Mabry

Started by Sixes, January 27, 2016, 12:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

Made a quick visit (if you can call an hour quick) to Lonnie Mabry's shop this morning. Luckily, I only live about 15 minutes from him and it's a short drive. He was working hard on some box calls when I got there and I started playing around with his calls. I have never had or heard an aluminum call that struck my ear, but today was different. I ended up the trip buying his last 2 aluminums in Hackberry and a matching one in bronze glass. I'm planning on gifting one of the aluminum calls as soon as I decide which one to keep. Also picked up a Mahogany glass and a cedar/purpleheart longbox and a Mahogany/PH short box. The strikers are a hodgepodge of woods that all ran well with the calls.

It's hard to beat his prices. 4 pots, 8 strikers and 2 box calls for $200 and they all sound great to me.

Lonnie is a fine man to deal with!

KentuckyHeadhunter

I love his hackberry bronze glass!  An hour is definitely a short visit to Lonnie.  I have never stayed less than three but he really likes to talk.  Years ago he helped Lamar build his shop and, in turn, Lamar would take him hunting in FL.  I asked Lamar at Unicoi about Mr. Lonnie and he said "that man is pure death on turkeys!".  I still hunt with Lonnie's boxes and pots because they sound so good and I can afford to replace them.  Looks like you got some good ones.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

packmule

I'm envious....jealous...what's the right word here  :)
Great calls, congratulations.

eorlando

Beautiful calls. Would love to get my hands on some one day.

SS Calls

Congrats on some fine callers!!  :icon_thumright:

REBELYELL

Best deals on the planet and pure turkey. Just talking to Mr. Lonnie is priceless. I have a bunch of pot calls and his walnut aluminum is one of the best I own. Did he ever get any more of the aluminum he likes to use?

Sixes

Quote from: REBELYELL on January 27, 2016, 02:16:26 PM
Best deals on the planet and pure turkey. Just talking to Mr. Lonnie is priceless. I have a bunch of pot calls and his walnut aluminum is one of the best I own. Did he ever get any more of the aluminum he likes to use?

He did, but said he was still having trouble getting it, wasn't sure how many more he would make out of aluminum.

Beards and Hooks

Wow very nice and I have heard about his awesome calls and wish I were closer....very jealous!

Scott Hock

Great calls. Looks like it's time to head that way!

hunter22

Congrats..... You guys are killing me.

CMBOSTC

Very nice looking calls.

Chris

mgm1955

JamesG

greentag

that's the best deal ive seen in forever,congrats on a lot of new toys