turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey vest recommendation's

Started by 357MAGNOLE, January 26, 2016, 05:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

I have yet to own a turkey vest. Last year I used a field pack from Bass Pro and it worked ok.  But there was many times I set down against a tree and had holly leaves sticking me in the legs/rear or I was just generally uncomfortable. Also, it would be nice to have easier access to my calls and other items I carry into the field.

Ideally I don't want to spend over $100, as I still need some new boots and decoys as well but I don't want to purchase a vest that will be falling apart by the end of the season.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Bowguy

I've had a bunch of vests, I just bought a tenzing, it's 131 w shipping on Amazon.  Cabelas is a lot of guys favorite but I just worry the material is slightly too thin. You spend less than 100 be careful

Rick Howard

I have this:
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=ScentBlocker-Torched-Turkey-Vest&i=839246

I immediately replaced the foam sections with closed cell exercise mat that my wife left laying around.  She was mad but...  It was worth it.

The striker pocket needed some help.  I went to Joan and got a couple extra snaps for it.  All good now.  I cary 3 pot calls, a box call, a mouth call, and pack of naps in this vest.  I will say that A water bottle pocket would be a nice feature that this is lacking.  With my modifications it works fine for me. 

uarobert

One of the biggest things to consider, IMO, is the comfort level of the seat. It gets hard to hunt when your rear end falls asleep.
I've always loved my
https://store.mossyoak.com/detail.aspx?ID=12694
at least til the weather gets hot.

The Cabela's vests are pretty nice. I really like my Super Tat'r when the weather gets warmer. The seat is still very comfortable, plus a breeze to switch between sitting and walking.

357MAGNOLE

Is the Tenzing worth the money? I haven't put my hands on any of these yet so I am wondering what the difference in quality is on the zippers/materials between a $70 and $130 vest. I mean, I really don't mind spending $130 if I know what I am getting is worth every penny I spent on it.  If I get it right the first time, its cheaper in the long run.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

uarobert

If it comes to where you have to make a money decision between vest and decoys, I'd probably put it in the vest. Personally, I'd rather have all of my gear organized and handy and have a good seat and comfortable walking, and maybe not even have any decoys. When I'm hunting in the woods and not on a field edge, I don't usually take dekes, anyway.

davisd9

Knight Vest

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: uarobert on January 26, 2016, 05:40:25 PM
If it comes to where you have to make a money decision between vest and decoys, I'd probably put it in the vest. Personally, I'd rather have all of my gear organized and handy and have a good seat and comfortable walking, and maybe not even have any decoys. When I'm hunting in the woods and not on a field edge, I don't usually take dekes, anyway.

Understood.  That was kind of how I was leaning as well. I want a quality vest, but I don't want to spend $250 like some of the highest end vest cost.

Bowguy

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on January 26, 2016, 05:38:27 PM
Is the Tenzing worth the money? I haven't put my hands on any of these yet so I am wondering what the difference in quality is on the zippers/materials between a $70 and $130 vest. I mean, I really don't mind spending $130 if I know what I am getting is worth every penny I spent on it.  If I get it right the first time, its cheaper in the long run.
Out of the vests I've seen its one of the better made ones. The seat is great n lots of pockets. My older vests actually have slightly more room but less pockets.
I can't tell you how well it'll hold up since I just got it.
The 130 was for the non kickstand one btw. No one I know or even heard of uses a kickstand so why buy it?
Maybe you can find a retailer n at least see one first.

uarobert

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on January 26, 2016, 05:44:27 PM
Understood.  That was kind of how I was leaning as well. I want a quality vest, but I don't want to spend $250 like some of the highest end vest cost.

Nor should you, IMO. I just bought an Ol' Tom on sale and it hurt a little to pay even that much. I will grant that the 2 Mossy Oak vests i have are great(just pretty warm when it heats up here in AL), but they are the ones that Russell outdoors used to make. I really don't know about the quality of the new ones they are making now, since Russell Outdoors is gone.

357MAGNOLE

Agreed. I am heading to bass pro this weekend to poke around and see whats what.

Wish I had a Cabelas local to check out as well. The tenzing looks like high quality from the photos but that I cant really tell until I get my hands on one.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: uarobert on January 26, 2016, 05:50:30 PM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on January 26, 2016, 05:44:27 PM

Nor should you, IMO. I just bought an Ol' Tom on sale and it hurt a little to pay even that much. I will grant that the 2 Mossy Oak vests i have are great(just pretty warm when it heats up here in AL), but they are the ones that Russell outdoors used to make. I really don't know about the quality of the new ones they are making now, since Russell Outdoors is gone.
There is one of the Russel Outdoors ones on Ebay right now for $65 after shipping.  They look decent. But its used, and I figured if could get a new one for $10 more why wouldn't I.

greentag

those russell outdoors vest are worth the money your talking,good seat,comfortable and roomy,the only downfall has already been mentioned,they are hot when the weather heats up.they are good quality though,ive used one for years now and its still going strong,i may loose the little strings tied on the zippers for zipper pulls ever now and then,but just tie some on and there back to normal,i would definatley consider one of those and have some money left for your other gear,especially if you live in a place thats not extremely hot.the new ole tom ones are a copy of them only they dont have the breast pocket and their seat is held in place with magnets,which is probably better than having to reach around and using the push in enclosers the russells have but i dont think it would be worth double the money like they are priced.

kdsberman

Mossy Oak Super Elite 3.  Its absolutely perfect in every way FOR ME.  Highly recommend it.

Gooserbat

From my experience I'd buy a tactical tatter ll and go hunting.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.