OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Season Doesn't Start Here Until May 1st, But...

Started by OldSchool, January 26, 2016, 04:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchool

We've got very little snow on the ground for this time of year, It's in the 40's today, there's a south wind blowing that has a faint smell of spring riding on it, and I can almost hear a distant gobble coming from the ridge behind my house. May is still a ways off and I know there's more cold and snow in my future, but I can dream. :turkey2:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

MK M GOBL

Here in WI I'm right with you, sun is out and I've had 15 longbeards showing up in a picked corn field pretty much daily. It gets the blood flowing. We get to start here first weekend in April and "My" first hunt is with a local Sportsmen's Club and a "Learn to Hunt" Program I help with and sponsor, a week after we hit youth season  and I have a couple of friends for 1st season and then it's game time for me and another friend. All together should have 18 -20 hunts going this season!

MK M GOBL

Bowguy

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 26, 2016, 04:22:18 PM
Here in WI I'm right with you, sun is out and I've had 15 longbeards showing up in a picked corn field pretty much daily. It gets the blood flowing. We get to start here first weekend in April and "My" first hunt is with a local Sportsmen's Club and a "Learn to Hunt" Program I help with and sponsor, a week after we hit youth season  and I have a couple of friends for 1st season and then it's game time for me and another friend. All together should have 18 -20 hunts going this season!

MK M GOBL
Great picture!

Happy

April 18th here for MD and Wv. Get to take my boy out for youth season on the 16th so thats as good as hunting. I can't wait. Finally looks like I am going to get more than 5-6 days to hunt. Expecting some carnage! Deee season helps a little to pass the time but it doesn't compare to turkeys!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Bowguy on January 26, 2016, 04:31:06 PM

MK M GOBL
Great picture!

Thanks! was a heck of a year, spring weather came early and we had some luck. Program allows anyone who has not hunted turkey before an opportunity to hunt with a mentor. If you look at the picture our youngest hunter was 10 and the oldest was 69. We have a great time with this program!

MK M GOBL

OldSchool

Awesome picture, thank you! Sounds/looks like you have some birds out your way. :icon_thumright:

Bob

OldSchool

Quote from: Happy on January 26, 2016, 04:41:40 PM
April 18th here for MD and Wv. Get to take my boy out for youth season on the 16th so thats as good as hunting. I can't wait. Finally looks like I am going to get more than 5-6 days to hunt. Expecting some carnage! Deee season helps a little to pass the time but it doesn't compare to turkeys!

Glad to hear that you'll be able to get out there with your son, that's great. And more time in the woods is always a good thing. I wish you both luck.

I hear 'ya. I love to hunt deer, but turkey hunting is something altogether different.

Bob

dirt road ninja

MAY 1st my season closes. March 15th can't come fast enough.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 26, 2016, 04:44:47 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on January 26, 2016, 04:31:06 PM

MK M GOBL
Great picture!

Thanks! was a heck of a year, spring weather came early and we had some luck. Program allows anyone who has not hunted turkey before an opportunity to hunt with a mentor. If you look at the picture our youngest hunter was 10 and the oldest was 69. We have a great time with this program!

MK M GOBL
Group of guys from my gun club n NWTF volunteers, mentor kids n disabled vets. Turkey hunts, bow n gun hunts for deer and fishing days. Last year our oldest fisherman was a world war 2 vet. Pretty cool.
Think we were 3 for 4 turkeys thanks to great volunteers,  the NWTF and the local wildlife refuge. Some of the best hunts are mentored hunts.

Happy

You southern boys are lucky! Course I don't think our bird population is high enough around here to have seasons like you guys have. I will be watching with envy as the first kills start getting posted.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tomstopper

Cant wait for May first here in NY so I have decided to head to Ohio for opening day and then be back to take my nephew out for youth weekend on the 23rd & 24th of April in NY. Have to find ways to get out there sooner....lol

Turkeyman11

Gonna start the season April 15th in New Mexico.  Headed back to the Gila for my 20th year.  Can't wait!!

OldSchool

I envy you guys that are able to travel and hunt other places, circumstances won't allow me to do so.

Having said that, check your vehicle well for stowaways before you leave tomstopper. I'm weak when it comes to turkey hunting. ;D

I'll just have to live vicariously through the rest of you til May.

Bob