turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fighting Purr

Started by OldSchool, January 24, 2016, 11:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchool

I bought a push button fighting purr call set sometime in the mid eighties. My first time out with the calls, I called in an old gobbler that didn't want anything to do with my other calls. I stopped calling for a little while, then hit the fighting purr. He shut up and within a couple minutes here he comes. Walking fast, and looking mad. I took the fight out of him at about 20 yards.

A few mornings later in another spot, I snuck into about 75 yards of a roosted Tom. He gobbled like crazy from the roost, but I didn't make a sound til he hit the ground, then I lay'd the fighting purr on him. Same deal. I don't think a minute and a half had gone by before I saw him coming. Turkey number two with the fighting purr.

I was young and I thought I'd found the end all of turkey calls. I realized during the next few seasons that like most other things in life, and especially when dealing with turkeys, nothing works all the time.

One of my push button calls fell apart not long after, so instead of buying another, I learned to make the sounds on my other calls. Over the years I've had mixed results with the fighting purr, but I've had enough gobblers come to it that wouldn't to other turkey sounds, that I consider it to be a valuable turkey hunting tool in some situations.

To be honest, I'm not up on all the latest in turkey hunting and I'm just learning to use a computer, but I don't hear much about anybody using the call. The few local hunters that I talk to around here don't use it.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the call. Do you use it? How has it worked for you?

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

OldSchool

I apologise, I just realized that this probably should have been posted in a different place.

Bob

Gamblinman

Just another trick in the bag.

I usually use it immediately after I harvest a bird to see if I can bring any other gobblers back in and let them settle down, not so much to harvest another bird. I also will try it as a last resort if birds are responding vocally to my calls, but not coming closer.

Like anything else...sometimes it works, and sometimes not.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Tail Feathers

It's turkey talk, it's fine here.
I've used it before but don't recall having success with it.  But turkeys fight all the time and I could see where two hens getting vocal would attract a tom hoping to woo the winner...and the loser. :laugh:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Bowguy

I still carry em, still use em n most years kill birds with them. When they work it's the most exciting type hunting. I had the original black pair, than a second I can't find and the new one piece. Driving me nuts cause those calls do work. At one point I was close to 50% with those calls but it varies year to year. Worst years are around 10%.
Gotta use em to see results though., I typically use em as last ditch effort when gobblers have gone another way w hens or just won't come. You can tell almost instantly the way they blow up gobbling. Often run in. Fun way to hunt once in a while

Bigfoot

It usually is my final call when everything else fails. I also use a wing for more realism. I ve killed a few gobblers using fighting purrs but nothing works all the time.

VA_Birdhunter

Like most I've had mixed results.  I use to carry two push pull calls but learned to use a slate or friction.  Like most turkey talk it's all about the timing and situation.   It's always good to have a go to or last chance call to pull out.   

God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

silvestris

Fighting has its place, but determining its place is the problem.  It sure makes me feel silly when I pull out the call and find myself all alone in the quiet forest.  To me, it is an early season call to be used before the pecking order has been firmly established or to be used a few days after the dominant gobbler has been killed and a new pecking order is being established.  I find that fighting is a call that gobblers catch on to quite easily and misused, it can raise their suspicions.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Prohunter3509

Always wished I had a double fighter

sasquatch1

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on January 24, 2016, 04:10:06 PM
Always wished I had a double fighter

Use a diaphragm and a slate at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

I used a fighting purr a few times when these first came out, worked so so for me back then... I had QB wood version then. As of late I have used it when I have multiple birds come in, key in on the dominant bird and take him out, instantly followed up by a fighting purr and have been able to double up more than a few times. I use a mouth call to do this now in that kind of situation, I also use a slate call if working birds for someone else. Not my in my normal calling lingo but put it to use in that scenario.

MK M GOBL

tomstopper

Have used them in the past when nothing else worked and to be honest, I have called in about 40% of the ones that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. This being said, does anyone know where one could find a double sided push pin fighting purr call (two years ago I had to sit down quickly due to a gobbler coming in fast and when I did, I busted the wooden one that I had... :( >:()

OldSchool

I'm not surprised to hear about all the mixed results with the fighting purr, that's been my experience with it too. It works like magic at times and others, not so much. I guess like any other call, it all depends on the bird you're talking to and his mood when he hears it. I know in my experience at least, when a bird does come to it, It's generally a nice one.

Some of you gave me some new insight on the ways/situations that you use the call that I hadn't thought of. :icon_thumright:

Thank you all, I appreciate it.

Bob

MK M GOBL

Quote from: tomstopper on January 25, 2016, 06:22:31 AM
Have used them in the past when nothing else worked and to be honest, I have called in about 40% of the ones that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. This being said, does anyone know where one could find a double sided push pin fighting purr call (two years ago I had to sit down quickly due to a gobbler coming in fast and when I did, I busted the wooden one that I had... :( >:()

Might have that old Quaker Boy call around, if it turns out you can't find one and I can come up with it can let you know. I would have it packed away, but about 4 hours away from "home" now. I don't ever throw them out but I do give a lot of calls away to the kids I hunt with.

MK M GOBL

tomstopper

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 25, 2016, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: tomstopper on January 25, 2016, 06:22:31 AM

Might have that old Quaker Boy call around, if it turns out you can't find one and I can come up with it can let you know. I would have it packed away, but about 4 hours away from "home" now. I don't ever through them out but I do give a lot of calls away to the kids I hunt with.

MK M GOBL
Awesome. Thanks man,