turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The ice has been broken...

Started by gatrkyhntr70, March 29, 2011, 03:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrkyhntr70

My son and I have been on some birds most of the weekend with a few close encounters, between the darn rain showers.
Got on some birds first thing this morning and the hen took them to the next county.. Tried another spot and heard some hen yelps in a bottom followed by a gobble.
I slipped in to the edge of the bottom and called a few times and the hen and gobbler responded, more yelping from the hen, I grabbed my warbird pot call yelped a few times and more yelps and a gobble!! They were closer; time to put the calls down get ready, I spot a group of hens coming with the gobbler to their right walking and strutting. I picked an open area when he reached it I clucked a few times head goes up and Boom!
Nice heavy bird, from me and my buddy Jody Hawk's estimation easily over 20 lbs. 10 3/4" beard; the spurs were right at 7/8". It feels great to break the ice!! The weather's had me worried. Now I just have to get my son and dad on one.

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice bird. Good story and pictures. I hope the son in the picture has a brother because he looks just a little young to be shooting turkeys.. :icon_thumright:Well done, Gatrky..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Reloader

Sweet!  Congrats on a fine tom. 

Pile em up buddy.

Reloader

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: Reloader on March 29, 2011, 03:48:42 PM

Pile em up buddy.

Reloader
Hey Ronny! This was a different spot from the birds I mentioned that I had roosted, Thanks again!
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

shootumindaface

Congrats bud.. Xtended range LOL

Sent from my 10 year old Dell using my 2 pointer fingers.

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: Hognutz on March 29, 2011, 03:42:02 PM
Congrats on the nice bird. Good story and pictures. I hope the son in the picture has a brother because he looks just a little young to be shooting turkeys.. :icon_thumright:Well done, Gatrky..Mike :you_rock:

LOL, yep he has a 13 yr old brother, should have mentioned that, It wont be long and the lil man will be ready :)
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Reloader

Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on March 29, 2011, 04:00:07 PM

Pile em up buddy.

Reloader
Hey Ronny! This was a different spot from the birds I mentioned that I had roosted, Thanks again!

I know the feeling.  As they say "Roosted aint Roasted" :D  

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 29, 2011, 04:02:15 PM
Congrats bud.. Xtended range LOL
you know it ;D

Sent from my 10 year old Dell using my 2 pointer fingers.

;D
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

JVA54

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: Reloader on March 29, 2011, 04:03:17 PM
Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on March 29, 2011, 04:00:07 PM
Sweet!  Congrats on a fine tom.  

Pile em up buddy.

Reloader

I know the feeling.  As they say "Roosted aint Roasted" :D  

Words to live by right there.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Basser69

Gold Spur

Congrats on a nice bird! You'll be taking pictures of your sons and there birds before you know it... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase