turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mosseberg Sa 20 Turkey thug

Started by Turkeyfever, January 23, 2016, 12:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyfever

I just purchased one and was wondering if anyone else had this gun. I love the way it feels and have fired it just to be shooting and it worked great. Just wondering if you had any advice on choke tubes/shell combos for turkey? How is the factory tube that came with it? Thanks for any info!

trad bow

Due to several operations over the past three years, probably buy this gun or a SA-459 20 gauge to turkey hunt with this year. I will most likely use a Sumtoy choke and Hevi 7 shot shells.

Turkeyfever

I think you would like either gun i read good things on both. The mossberg is hard to find in a gun shop I had to order mine. I read good reviews on the gun and am really happy with the way it looks and feels. The temperatures are going up toward 60 this weekend here if i shoot some I will let you know how it does. I have shot some,  3 low and 3 high brass and both cycled real well. I am hoping someone that has one will give me some good advice on choke/shell combos.

trad bow

I ordered a SA-20 today and it should be here by Friday. Temps will be in high 60's  ,maybe 70 this weekend. I will have to wait for my Sumtoy to shoot it. I haven't ordered it yet.
Jeff

FL-Boss

The SA-20 is very much the same gun as the SA-459 -  in fact I think they are made in the same Turkish factory.   I have them both. What I can tell you...  FED HW#7 always seemed the best in the SA-20.

As for chokes... Sumtoy will give you most "wow" factory ( around 180-200) but for actually hunting I always like something a little more open.. Carlson .575 ( about 140)

Turkeyfever

I am glad you came in FL- boss. I ordered the carlsons .575 today! I planned to try the federal hw # 7. Did you shoot the factory choke any to see what it would do? Thanks! Trad bow you will love the feel of the gun. I am glad Boss came in and added insight it can save a lot of time and money!

FL-Boss

factory choke is actually pretty good too. I believe it is about .585.  I can't remember if the factory mossberg SA-20 choke is ported or not? I know the Weatherby SA-459 factory choke is ported. 

I have been told the federal flight control wads don't really like a ported choke. But I think this applies more towards the 12 ga loads... as the wad is harder.  I never had an issue shooting the Federal flight control 20 ga shells from a ported choke.

Carlson .575 =  perfect for real world turkey hunting..

Be careful hunting with choke too tight as you can easily miss the close birds.

Turkeyfever

Thanks for the advice! The factory choke is not ported. I also have a primos tightwad ported choke tube I bought for this gun it is ported .570 I shot this tube in a 20 gauge mossberg pump I have and like you had no trouble with the flight control wad. I killed Birds shooting the federal 3inch copper plated 1 5/16 oz loads that has flight control wad. Gun shot them great. I am buying new tubes as this SA 20  uses the berreta/benelli tubes.

outdoors

WHERE DID U GET THE Carlson 575 turkey choke
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Turkeyfever

I ordered the carlsons off midway sight last night they had it on sale for 21 dollars.

g8rvet

Boss knows these guns.

If you are looking for an option in between the Sumtoy and the Carlson's, give the Trulock Fed HWT choke a look.  160's in the 10" at 40.  No holes.  No idea how it would shoot the Hevi though. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Turkeyfever

Thanks for the advice on the choke tubes! I shot the gun today with the carlsons and it gave me a great pattern with the federal hvw # 7 out to 40 yds. I shot the Quaker boy turkey head targets and the head and neck as full with a good even pattern. I also shot the federal copper plated lead with flight control wad and would shoot 30-35 without hesitation. I really like the way the gun shot and way it feels my 12 gauge is officially retired!

dutch@fx4

Thanks for the advice on tubes. I AM very happy with the sa20 I got for my girls. Just getting it set up for spring turkey hunt now. Great shotgun. Dutch

PEHunter

Is the sa-20 drilled and taped from the factory? I found the answer to my own question. I see it comes with a rail from the factory.

Does anyone know what the LOP is for this gun?  I thinking about getting it so my wife and son could use it.  Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Turkeyfever

Make sure you get the Sa 20 Turkey thug model if you want it drilled and tapped with rail. The normal SA 20 is not drilled already. I really like mine so far!