OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Requiem for a Dead Tree

Started by shaman, January 23, 2016, 08:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaman

It's taken me quite a while to come to grips with this, but I'm finally letting myself grieve over the loss of my favorite turkey hunting spot, The Honey Hole.

Requiem for The Honey Hole

The old tree must fell over in a storm, and the trunk is now blocking my view of the old road.  There's another tree close by, but it just won't be the same.

Some folks say there are no such things as Honey Holes in turkey hunting. I will admit they are rare, but the shamanic dream team has probably 2 dozen birds from this one spot, and I can't count the number of close encounters.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

gobbler777

gobbler honey holes ----- there sure are
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

spurman

Quote from: gobbler777 on January 23, 2016, 08:25:40 AM
gobbler honey holes ----- there sure are

I agree, I have taken several over the years in the same spots.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Rapscallion Vermilion

Awesome spot.  That's a real loss. 

OldSchool

I read about this in your link in my thread about first turkeys. I feel for 'ya. I had the same thing happen with a huge old maple about ten years ago. It stood in a small patch of hardwoods separating two fields. I sat under that tree for years, killed some nice gobblers, and watched many more work their way through.  Same deal. The stub is still there, but the tree fell in the worst possible position. I told the landowner that it would be a waste not to use it for firewood, but so far he hasn't done anything with it. I'm still hoping.

I have a brush blind under another big old maple on a ridge out behind my house. I've bow hunted deer out of it for years. Half the trunk is rotted, and I've expected it to fall for the last couple years. When it does, It's going to be another heart breaker.

I doubt any of that makes you feel any better, but I thought I'd let you know you're not alone.

Any chance the owner would let you cut it up and move it out of your way?

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Herb McClure

Well I too hunt from special places, which I have learn are good for taking gobbler's there. My country to hunt, is the Chattahoochee National Forest in Georgia's mountains; more particular along the Appalachian Trail. Over many years, I have learn of several places that I term a calling place. Calling places for me are not attached to any land mark; they are designated a calling place; for the gobblers that have been taken;in some of them for the past 50 years. 

Calling places are where I listen from, for roost gobbling and if I don't hear any; I still stay there and call. Sometimes, I rotate where I go and hunt them in the afternoon; just like it was morning. I sometimes get in a vehicle and drive to were a different calling place is known about.

I do very little calling in my woods, which have not been proven; to be a good calling place for-taking gobblers. Old age, has it's draw-backs; but having many years of experiences; has it's rewards too. Honey holes, Calling places, or what ever you want to call certain places, are worth learning of and using. Especially where gobblers have been called and taken there regularly before. These places are  special too, for the gobblers that are living in those woods.It is a lot easier to call a gobbler to a place where other gobbler have come to, and been taken; than just anywhere randomly in the woods.
herb mcclure, Native Turkey Man. 

shaman

Quote from: OldSchool on January 23, 2016, 11:16:49 AM

I doubt any of that makes you feel any better, but I thought I'd let you know you're not alone.

Bob

Thanks.  It's a rotten thing when you get so spoiled with a spot. It's going to bug me all winter.

I'm the owner of the tree and the surrounding 200 acres.  I'm still debating on cutting it up, leaving it there, or using the truck winch and just dragging it so that it's out of my way.  As I mentioned, there's another tree, much like this one about 10 yards away.  I may just section the trunk of the old dead one, drag it over and use it for a blind for the new one.  I haven't quite made up my mind.

Herb:  One thing that I noticed after a few years at my place was that I always found myself putting my back to the same trees.  I finally wised up and started putting logs and old cedar trees around to improve them.  The Honey Hole was just the best of the bunch. When you find yourself a spot that gives you an advantage, don't give it up. There are darn few advatages out there, and you got to take what you can.  Some years, by mid May, I'm ready to  put out an old bed spring and a pile of corn, but maybe that's going too far.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

OldSchool

Quote from: shaman on January 23, 2016, 01:59:48 PM

Bob

Thanks.  It's a rotten thing when you get so spoiled with a spot. It's going to bug me all winter.

I'm the owner of the tree and the surrounding 200 acres.  I'm still debating on cutting it up, leaving it there, or using the truck winch and just dragging it so that it's out of my way.  As I mentioned, there's another tree, much like this one about 10 yards away.  I may just section the trunk of the old dead one, drag it over and use it for a blind for the new one.  I haven't quite made up my mind.

Well, at least you have some options. That's always a plus. :icon_thumright: Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

paboxcall

I'm familiar with the concept, killed gobblers five years in a row from the same tree on private ground.  Lost permission to hunt that place years ago, and miss it a lot.  That ridge top was perfect - bordered by private and public ground, birds roosted there every other day, almost like clockwork.  One day they were there, next not, next day they were back.  Roosted right there on that point, and you could use a right of way to get in quiet, right under them sometimes.

Sorry for your loss - places like that are rare and very special. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Cut N Run

Quote from: shaman on January 23, 2016, 01:59:48 PM

Bob

Herb:  One thing that I noticed after a few years at my place was that I always found myself putting my back to the same trees.  I finally wised up and started putting logs and old cedar trees around to improve them.  The Honey Hole was just the best of the bunch. When you find yourself a spot that gives you an advantage, don't give it up. There are darn few advatages out there, and you got to take what you can.  Some years, by mid May, I'm ready to  put out an old bed spring and a pile of corn, but maybe that's going too far.

I'd bet my best turkey gun there are such things as turkey honey holes.  No telling how many mature gobblers we took off two different spots at my old lease, but it was definitely in the dozens.  The old sawdust pile I used to hunt was as close to a sure thing as any place I know of.  Turkeys loved that area and felt comfortable spending time around there.  It was real easy to call a gobbler there, because all of the birds in the area used that spot & knew it was a favorite hang out.  As long as you didn't over hunt either of the spots, or get busted, you were going to see longbeard gobblers close. I have a spot at the horse farm I hunt that has been very productive (4 mature gobblers in 4 trips) and reaffirms my belief in turkey honey holes.  I also found a saddle in a ridge on public land where 4 gobblers have died over the past 3 years.  That's just too many birds in one spot for it to be a coincidence.

Shaman, I like your idea of cutting up the downed tree and dragging it to incorporate it into a new blind. I wish you continued success up against your new tree.  It does suck to lose a favorite spot, but its not like the land was clear cut and you're having to start over.  Just adapt to the new order and take up where you left off.  I think using part of that old tree for a new blind will help keep your mojo there working. Good luck.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

fallhnt

I'd bet my gun and bow there are turkey honey holes too. If the dead birds could talk they would tell you all about it.  :gobble:
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Happy

I had a honey hole once also. There was always a bird roosted within earshot of my spot. I didn't have a tree but I did have a log I put my back to near the base. The roots were still attached and it covered an area that was much more open than the surrounding woods. The beauty of it was that I could cover it all with a shotgun. An old logging road ran right to it and I watched several gobblers come up that road to my gun. Unfortunately it was clear cut about two years ago. Not a tree left standing. That was the one spot were I could almost garrantee a bird. It almost wasn't fair. I have taken birds in many other places but that was just "my" spot. I feel for you. It almost made me cry when I lost mine. Lotta memories.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Flounder

I have a spot that I've hunted every sense we have had a season. It name "The Honey Hole"

paboxcall

Quote from: Cut N Run on January 23, 2016, 06:08:46 PM
...Shaman, I like your idea of cutting up the downed tree and dragging it to incorporate it into a new blind...Jim

I agree, and I suggest taking a nice piece of that tree and send it off to your favorite box call and pot call maker.  Be pretty sweet to carry that memory with you on all your future hunts.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot