OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Shell for Mossberg Super Bantam Turkey?

Started by BDeal, January 21, 2016, 10:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

I bought my 10 year old son the super bantam turkey in 20 gauge. I'm planning on using the stock choke. I have been told to try Remington 5 shot Nitro Turkey. Any thoughts on this round and others?

Thanks!

R AJ

You simply must try different shells to see what works for that gun and distance . The premier load is the Federal 2 3/4" Hvy Wt #7 but it is the most expensive per box. However if you wind up buying several different boxes of different brands you might consider starting with the Federal load and if it is what you want then stick with them.

jakesdad

My oldest (9) shoots Winchester 2 3/4 7 1/2 field loads with a standard full choke. Patterns decent to 25 but usually like to hold him to 20 or less. Remember theres more fun in "how close" than there is in "how far"!!

Watch any kind of heavy loads that gun dont weigh much!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

owlhoot

HW 7's are flat out killers in the 20. Should help with a 2 3/4 load getting a better pattern for turkey hunting ranges

surehuntsalot

Federal F/C 3" #5 or 6's with the stock full choke tube would be a great starting point without breaking the bank
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gobblergls

If I were to use commercial shells rather than hand loads in my SB, it would be the 7 Fed. HW.  With 5 or 6, pattern loses before penetration.  The cost of shells is the least expense in a limit of a turkeys.