OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

((((POLL)))) How Many Turkeys Do You Kill each Year?

Started by Honolua, January 21, 2016, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How Many Turkeys do you kill? each year?

0-3
4+
Op is a Genius and can have all my hunting stuff.

Clif Owen

Some of you really know how to make a person feel inadequate..LOL!

Seriously, I got back into the game 4 years ago and am truly still learning as I go. I have been fortunate to have gotten an opportunity 3 of those seasons. I do however have some great memories and stories to tell.

shaman

I fill my two Kentucky tags and that is usually it. 

I am a bit of shut-in, in that I stay on my 200 acres the whole season. That can mean getting shut out now and again, but it also adds an extra dimension to it all.  I'm hunting the same birds year after year, and so I can see patterns.  To me, terrain and structure seem to dictate turkey personality.   As a result, every few years, I get to hunt my arch nemesis, Mister Natural all over again.  Silent Bob and the 3 Jakes show up.  Blithe, the hen, makes an appearance, and I almost always get to match wits with the    Garbage Pit Bandit or the Virginia Rambler.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Bowguy

Quote from: Clif Owen on January 22, 2016, 07:51:40 PM
Some of you really know how to make a person feel inadequate..LOL!

Seriously, I got back into the game 4 years ago and am truly still learning as I go. I have been fortunate to have gotten an opportunity 3 of those seasons. I do however have some great memories and stories to tell.
Way to think. It's not about numbers, it's about the hunt. Many guys call for kids, friends or new hunters. That's great

Gamblinman

I always hunt TX, OK, MO, and KS each year, plus one or two more states. Been doing this since the early 1980's.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

paboxcall

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Fullfan

Most years  I manage to knock down 7 or 8. My best year was in 02 I managed to kill 12 in 5 states.
Don't gobble at me...

Prohunter3509

Yoder409

Not enough.

Only get to hunt one or two states a year with the way I need to distribute my vacation.

Would say my general average is 2-4/year.

Hopefully when I don't have to be gainfully employed anymore that number will rise sharply.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

greentag

we can kill six a year total here in ky,counting the fall season,and for the last 8 years ive been lucky and filled all 6 each year.i like to get after them in the fall too with an excalibur crossbow.this year i didnt get my last one until last monday,the very last day of the season,one of the coldest days we had.

jepcho

I'd say I average 3, but just recently started hunting multiple states every year, I used to just hunt Iowa which is a 2 bird limit. Killed 5 last year. However, I generally call in as many for others, like my little brothers and dad, as I do for myself. I agree with others, it's not about the numbers, and hunting with family and friends is a big part of why I do it.

catman529

4 in the spring and at least a couple in the fall. Past 2 years killed 3 during the fall season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountman62

not near as many as i want to, whether I'm shooting or calling for somebody else, we always looking for one more, but I have been very lucky for the last few years just being able to kill at least one every year, but my most favorites have been for my son when he was 9, then a neighbors son when he was 12, and his daddy when he was 30, then a young kid of 8, and this year calling up one here in Louisiana for my wife and another in Tenn for her, & just spending time in the woods with people, but always it is the fun of the hunt, when it quits being an almost heart attack experience, and all for numbers, I will quit
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

OldSchool

Quote from: mountman62 on January 26, 2016, 04:16:48 AM
but always it is the fun of the hunt, when it quits being an almost heart attack experience, and all for numbers, I will quit

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: I was having some chest pain when I used my push mower early last summer, so my doctor suggested a stress test. I explained that turkey season had just ended and that I'd been through a series of them in the past month. ;D It turned out to be some torn cartilage between my ribs.

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Gobble!

Quote from: Fullfan on January 24, 2016, 01:31:01 PM
Most years  I manage to knock down 7 or 8. My best year was in 02 I managed to kill 12 in 5 states.

That's awesome. Few more years I will start hunting multiple states.

kdsberman

ONE.  Because Michigan for some dumb reason allows ONE bird.  Yet, you can pretty much kill as many deer as you want buck, doe, big or small.  Yet, one turkey.