OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoy's (help me out experienced folks)

Started by 357MAGNOLE, January 19, 2016, 04:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

So this spring will be just my second Turkey season ever.  I know, crazy right.

Any way the bug bit me super hard last year when I got JUST outside of the range of two birds.  Well, one was probably in range but I hesitated and he took off on me.

Any way, I have a nice call I have been practicing with.  I have some good locator calls, and good camo.  A good rig in a Stoeger M3500 with the pistol grip utilizing a indian creek choke with the Longbeard XR #6's. 

Now I am wanting to add a quality decoy or two to my hunting package to try and enhance my chances. I feel like where I hunt, a decoy might give me that added advantage.  Here in North Va, I hunt on a military base that has a TON of open fields, long logging trails and open woods.  The birds can see a good ways and I feel like the right pairing of decoys should help bring in those Toms. 

I will admit my calling needs work, and I think even the best of callers didnt have it figured out their first year so it is a work in progress.

So what are yalls suggestions for spring decoys? I am looking at the Avian-X series.  They look the best from what I can tell, I need something that wont be too difficult to carry and setup.  So I dont want to carry more than 3 decoys MAX.  Absolutely prefer to pack 2 decoys. 

What should I go with that will be best all around during the spring?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

strutnva

A hen and a jake should work just fine.  Gobblers will key on the jake.  Brand is your call on how much money you want to spend.  The birds don't seem to know the difference.  Just my .02.

jordanz7935

Get the Jake and hen combo from zink. I have one of the original avianx hens that I pair with a bmobile with a real jake fan and I have had great success hunting with them. I have had a few gobblers shy away from the strutter decoy over the years but its brought in a lot of field birds that wouldn't commit to calling.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I'm assuming you'll be on quantico or AP Hill.  That rolling terrain and topography make it very easy to maneuver tightly on birds without needing decoys.

That being said for the field set-ups I'd purchase a DSD hen and jake.
If you only purchase one item, I'd get the DSD leading hen through Cabelas.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on January 19, 2016, 05:31:31 PM
I'm assuming you'll be on quantico or AP Hill.  That rolling terrain and topography make it very easy to maneuver tightly on birds without needing decoys.

Close, I am hunting the Dahlgren naval base.  Did not know there was some local folks on the boards.  We have the hills and what not hear as well, but not near as much where the birds like to hang out. They prefer either the swampy areas, or the edges of the grassy fields. They don't get too deep back in the hilly spots.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

VaTuRkStOmPeR

For many years my primary ground was down in Westmoreland and I've hunted them just across 301 in Charles Co. Maryland.

Id say I've guided and killed somewhere between 30-40 down that way.  They will roost in the big timber just off the ridge tops, they will roost on the timber edges where they meet the swamp marsh and they will roost off the field edges typically 80-100 yards back. Edge habitats where mature trees abut clearcuts provide roost, strut zones and good nesting habitats for hens.

I offer this advice because I think someone is misleading you on how to successfully pillage those birds.  Roost em', get tight on them an hour or more before fly-down and use the terrain to kill birds.  If the roost set-up doesn't produce, drop off the ridge tops into the bottoms and use the terrain to maneuver on your bird while keeping tabs on him with a crow or owl call.  The fields were always our mid-morning places to check because most of the killing took place at dawn back in the timber. 

Seems like everyone these days thinks you have to have a decoy to kill turkeys.  And in the area you're talking about I'd gladly hunt without one any day of the week.  You're hunting on the perimeter of one of the most turkey rich areas of the state. 

Goodluck this spring!

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on January 19, 2016, 08:23:30 PM
For many years my primary ground was down in Westmoreland and I've hunted them just across 301 in Charles Co. Maryland.

Id say I've guided and killed somewhere between 30-40 down that way.  They will roost in the big timber just off the ridge tops, they will roost on the timber edges where they meet the swamp marsh and they will roost off the field edges typically 80-100 yards back. Edge habitats where mature trees abut clearcuts provide roost, strut zones and good nesting habitats for hens.

I offer this advice because I think someone is misleading you on how to successfully pillage those birds.  Roost em', get tight on them an hour or more before fly-down and use the terrain to kill birds.  If the roost set-up doesn't produce, drop off the ridge tops into the bottoms and use the terrain to maneuver on your bird while keeping tabs on him with a crow or owl call.  The fields were always our mid-morning places to check because most of the killing took place at dawn back in the timber. 

Seems like everyone these days thinks you have to have a decoy to kill turkeys.  And in the area you're talking about I'd gladly hunt without one any day of the week.  You're hunting on the perimeter of one of the most turkey rich areas of the state. 

Goodluck this spring!

That is all very encouraging to hear.

I am just picking up what I can from reading or what some of the local hunters on the base can (are willing) to share.  Last year was my first, as previously stated. I am practically teaching myself.  It sure is a blast and a hell of a rush but the end of last year was frustrating.  I can only run shotgun on Saturdays, so it limits me to 4-6 days during the season.  Not a ton of opportunities. I plan on doing more scouting this year than the previous, and definately trying to figure out their roosting locations.  I had little to no luck with locating calls last year.  They either seem to be smarter here, or further back in the woods off the roads.

How do you go about scouting areas like this?

Last year I used satellite images of the base to give me an idea of the thicker wooded areas, creeks, and opened up spots.

MK M GOBL

So my vote would be for DSD's, If you are looking for light, mobile, versatility and durability don't think they can be beat! And yes I'll give them a plus for MADE IN THE USA! Yup you may pay a little more but to me well worth the investment. If you are looking for 2-3 decoys I would have an Upright hen, Feeding Hen and Jake or Strutter. The Strutter is a little less mobile if you are a run & gun guy, and you need to learn how to hunt a strutter "right" to have a high success rate. That Upright hen can double as a Breeding / submissive by cutting a short stake for her so she sits on the ground.

MK M GOBL

DSDouble!

Gobble!

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on January 19, 2016, 05:31:31 PM

Agreed. If your wanting to save money and have something easy to carry get one of the Montana 3D decoys. I believe any decoy will work as good as the next, saying that I only use DSDs.

357MAGNOLE

Thanks for the inputs. I think I am going to go with a single hen decoy and a cheaper Jake from someone. 

I am liking either the DSD leading hen, or the Upright hen. I cant decide which of the two would be better.  I know with the leading hen I can drop it down and dual purpose it as a breeding hen.  The Upright hen looks more alert and catches my eye pretty well. 

I am thinking about the Jake deal long and hard. I don't want a full strut with my limited experience I don't want to set something up wrong and scare off the Toms. I am actually thinking about that little "Funky chicken jake".  Reviews seem good, price dirt low and it seems like Toms look at it and want to destroy it, probably because it looks sickly.

tha bugman

Montana decoy 2d one word...amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double B

357, I hunt on similar areas but in a different state and I'm with VA turkstomper.  Scout with your ears and figure out where they generally roost,  before season if you can get out at daybreak to hear gobblers on the roost without going deep.  And be really careful about putting a legal bird deke like a jake or tom out on public land.  Your expensive new decoy or even you could get shot.  I don't carry them much anymore but when I do I like the Cherokee sports call girl and mamasita.  I'm cheap and these are basically a photo of a hen, inflatable and tuck in the back of vest.  I hunt areas with lots of open fields and kill most in da woods.     Good luck!
Followed by buzzards

357MAGNOLE

Its not really public land, it is open to folks with base access.  Any way, you have to check out "areas" to hunt... Each area is usually around 50 or so acres. Typically there are about 10-15 hunters out, and we keep space from each other.

That said, totally understand what you are saying.

Dtrkyman

A decoy can be invaluable at times, when birds are quiet and stubborn you can set up in an area where your decoys are seen from a long way, Instead of running all over trying to get a response you can sit tight and be patient, if you do hear a bird in the distance you can just grab the deke and go.

After guiding a taxidermist years ago who brought a mounted bird for a decoy my opinion on them did a complete 360, I went from rarely using a decoy to pretty much always using one, he gave me a mounted hen and that thing is pure poison on birds, now with the dsd and similar decoys it is obvious the more realistic decoys are superior, I had never really had birds respond to decoys that well until the stuffer deke.

I archery hunt turkeys primarily anymore and decoys are the key component!

Capt.hooks

Our turkey population here in ky has made it more difficult to hunt over the years.... We have so many hens at times it is almost useless to use a decoy. I have learned to do without decoys most of the time but i def. Don't rule out using a deek or 2.... When I do use deeks I use avian x.... Good luck this year my friend