OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Calling All GA Turkey Hunters

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 29, 2011, 12:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just curious as to whether any of my fellow GA hunters are having any luck in the turkey woods. After killing one opening morning, its slowed waaay down for me. Opening morning I heard nine different gobblers. The last three mornings I've hunted a total of fifteen hours and heard two birds, both unworkable. I'm sure some of it has to do with the weather, but I almost think our birds aren't quite ready yet. They seem to still be bunched up in winter flocks and not real responsive to calls...any thoughts?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

GAbird

They were responsive during the thunder storms up here in NW GA on opening day.  Worked 2 diff birds but couldn't get them to commit.  One because of hens and the other cause he wanted to skunk me and hang up at 60 yds or so.  Had to call it quits around 10:30 due to weather.  Should have gotten zapped by lightning several times but the good Lord was looking after me.  This was all on public land as well.  Going back out Saturday morning after all this weather moves through.

longspur

I didn't hear any gobbling last weekend here in NE Ga.

swampy

Wasnt able to go opening saturday but heard great things from people. Most of the real hunters in the "circle" had success saturday. Sunday was a different story very,very little gobbling was heard. I didnt even hear a bird Sunday and it aint cause they werent there. Its just the weather down here in extreme south georgia were I'm at. There is a noticable decrease in birds I'd say only 2/3rd's the birds that were I'n my area last year. I've yet to see a two year old either so between that and the weather I kinda expect it to be a little quieter.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

Cove

With the late opener, the time is now and may not be here long. Get busy, its happening now. I'll leave it at that...

savduck

Georgia Boy

Blindhog

Weather will shut the gobbling down.  The action will pick up.  I always see it go strong till mid to late April.  Not everyday, but go often and there will usually be some gobbling.  More on some days than others, but they can still be killed.

On the forums the big ones seem to come later.
Look away, look away, look awaaaayy.....Dixieland!

TrophyTracker

New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

old frank

I hunted Wednesday and it was dead. I never heard even a distant gobble.

Warm one day, then rain and storms, then cold may have them messed up.

I saw a lot of scratchings and droppings but saw one hen wander across a trail as I eased along.

I tried everything, including sitting in a good spot and just watching. Trail camera had some good turkeys passing by, so they are around.

Bustabeak

Heard three birds the weekend before opening weekend. Heard three more birds opening weekend. My cousin and I killed jakes opening day  and haven heard a gobble since. Rain and cold  weather I guess?

GAbird

They were gobbling like CRAZY this morning (4/2).  Heard 5 different birds going at it through about 10 am.  Heavy winds move in and they got tight lipped.  Worked one off the roost but hen moved in and pulled him away.  Had him at putting on a show at about 40-45 yds but didnt feel comfortable with the shot, too much mess in the way, should have moved on him but he was right on top of me when I was getting set up.  Again, this is in NW GA (Berry WMA), can't speak for anywhere else but they are hottttt here.  Hitting the woods again in the morning before church.  Another nice day with high pressure before some more nasty weather moves in Monday & Tuesday.

Buckwheat

Saw birds on opening morning but they were to far away. I had them taking all morning and then the weather changed, I didn't hear or see anything on Sunday. I went to Berry (WMN) on Friday never heard a bird nor did the other 4 hunters that hunted with us that day. However it's going to be a beautiful day so I may go back this afternoon. Goodluck!