News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New 20ga Load

Started by dawei, January 18, 2016, 09:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawei

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

R AJ

At least Federal is giving the 20 gauge consideration of their shells unlike Winchester that apparently sees no need to make 20 gauge Longbeard XR  loads available in #5 and #6 shells.

I see that Federal is going with a 1 3/8 oz. load in this shell. Looks like they would show some pattern eye candy.
They do offer a free Primos pot call with purchase of two boxes.

Thanks for bringing us OG 20 gauge users up to date on a new product

Eric Gregg

Quote from: RAJ on January 20, 2016, 10:55:26 PM
At least Federal is giving the 20 gauge consideration of their shells unlike Winchester that apparently sees no need to make 20 gauge Longbeard XR  loads available in #5 and #6 shells.

I see that Federal is going with a 1 3/8 oz. load in this shell. Looks like they would show some pattern eye candy.
They do offer a free Primos pot call with purchase of two boxes.

Thanks for bringing us OG 20 gauge users up to date on a new product

The 20ga is a bad motor scooter with the loads that are out there today. Federal has a potent load in the 3" #7 HeavyWeight. I would like to try some of these for fun

R AJ

Federal offers several 20 ga options and I agree with you that their Hvy Wt in #7 is tops.

Winchester has developed a 12 gauge load in their Longbeard XR in 3 or 3.5 inch with shot from 4,5,6 to choose.
They have been stuck on #5 shot for their 20 gauge turkey loads for years .

My point is basically that if Federal can produce another 20 gauge load it would seem that Winchester could produce the 20 gauge longbeard XR in #5 and #6 lead loads and it could be a competitor with the Federal shell for pattern density. That is their red wagon and they can pull it, push it, or whatever they wish.

Izzyjoe

Just my opinion, but the Fed heavy #7 are hard to top, but alas I would like to see how the 3rd degrees will stack up!

R AJ

I too would be very interested in seeing how these patterns might look at 30-35 yards. As far as using them for fairly tight woods where a 35 yard shot could be a fairly long one this 3rd degree round may be just about right.
64 $ question now is when they become available for purchase.

dawei

Another new load, Hevi•Shot® Pb; who would of thunk it?...
http://files.ctctcdn.com/1f226eae001/850902f0-d1bb-4613-9662-14276863d07b.pdf

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

SP-10 Fan

Quote from: RAJ on January 23, 2016, 06:48:00 PM
I too would be very interested in seeing how these patterns might look at 30-35 yards. As far as using them for fairly tight woods where a 35 yard shot could be a fairly long one this 3rd degree round may be just about right.
64 $ question now is when they become available for purchase.

Buddy of mine just bought a box of the Federal 3rd Degree today at Bass Pro Shops.

Full strut

i hope he has better luck with 3rd degree than i did!

Remturkey

Just got 2 boxes of the 20 gauge 3rd degree. Will test them when the temps warm a little. Box says 1 7/16oz

gophert

Right now there is nothing better than HW #7's in 20 ga as far as factory shells.  Don't waste your money buying this other crap your just pissing in the wind.  The only way something will be better is for Fed to get rid of that flight control wad. 

Sent from my typewriter

owlhoot

Saw the federal 12 and 20 Federal  3rd degree at Cabelas and Rodgers already. Have not seen the hevi triple beard yet. Those Federal HW 7's are gonna be tough to beat with up to 160 in the 10" out of my sons 870 21". With a minor price difference between HW and 3rd degree I believe we will stick with straight HW 7's  Now I think the Triple Beard will be an alternative to those who want lead for price or older guns. Might try it in the double 20's for a short range load .

NYlogbeards

Anyone tries those Hevi Shot Triple Beard shells in either 20 ga or 12 ga send me a pm or post your results.

Greg Massey

I can tell you a good shell that's over look is the federal 20 ga. 3 in. 1 5/16 oz. 6 shot..it will put out good numbers..you can get a box of 10 of these at a good price..

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 09, 2016, 12:47:55 PM
I can tell you a good shell that's over look is the federal 20 ga. 3 in. 1 5/16 oz. 6 shot..it will put out good numbers..you can get a box of 10 of these at a good price..
Hello Gregg  :hello99:
I just picked up a box. What's your set up like?
Johnny
Sorry dawei .. I don't mean to hijack the thread
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."