turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which call?

Started by wmn2, January 15, 2016, 08:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmn2

I'm a new guy here and wondering what type of call you guys like best? i know diaphragm's are the favorite for when turkeys are in range and you're not in a blind, but what does everyone use most?

I've got 4 diaphragm's that I'm ok on, but need a lot of improvement. I've also got a primos jackpot pot call that i've been getting pretty good on. Do I need to invest in a box call? I've been contemplating buying another pot call because I like using that and I'm making the best sounds on that right now.

guesswho

Go with what you have the most confidence in.   Sounds like right now that would be a pot call.   Calling a turkey doesn't require a wide variety of calls or turkey vocalizations.     A simple cluck and or yelp will get the job done.   I wouldn't worry to much about having two or three calls, I'd concentrate on being able to make two or three vocalizations on one call.  Then I'd move on to another call and progress from there.    Again, based on your post I'd get really confident with my pot call, then tackle another style.  Good luck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

wmn2

Yea with the pot call, I"m good with clucks, yelps, purrs, and I am working on a cackle right now. With the cackle, sometimes I will get it going and then out of nowhere my striker won't make a sound on the surface, so I'm trying to figure out how to get away from that.

paboxcall

Quote from: wmn2 on January 15, 2016, 09:01:30 PM
Yea with the pot call, I"m good with clucks, yelps, purrs, and I am working on a cackle right now. With the cackle, sometimes I will get it going and then out of nowhere my striker won't make a sound on the surface, so I'm trying to figure out how to get away from that.

Don't sweat it, real hens get away with it all the time.

Listen to real hens calling on youtube, and you will see for yourself that contest callers are way better than the real thing.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

mwr

Quote from: paboxcall on January 15, 2016, 09:11:48 PM
Quote from: wmn2 on January 15, 2016, 09:01:30 PM

Don't sweat it, real hens get away with it all the time.

Listen to real hens calling on youtube, and you will see for yourself that contest callers are way better than the real thing.
Yes Sir!!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

mgm1955

Quote from: guesswho on January 15, 2016, 08:57:06 PM
Go with what you have the most confidence in.   Sounds like right now that would be a pot call.   Calling a turkey doesn't require a wide variety of calls or turkey vocalizations.     A simple cluck and or yelp will get the job done.   I wouldn't worry to much about having two or three calls, I'd concentrate on being able to make two or three vocalizations on one call.  Then I'd move on to another call and progress from there.    Again, based on your post I'd get really confident with my pot call, then tackle another style.  Good luck.
Absolutely great advice! Confidence is the key. At the moment of truth you want to be able to make the vocalization you want and not be worried about whether or not you can do it on a call you're not confident with. Good luck!

MK M GOBL

Confidence is the key, turkey for me is a second language and there are hundreds of calls out there... For me I use a slate call and diaphragms, I do have a box call but it is not my go to call. Now if you want specifics the call I rely on is my Cody World Class Slate, I have ended more birds with that call then every other call I have. I have been using Woodhaven's Diaphragms for a while now, I like their Toxic Orange and TKM pack. Cadence, rhythm and confidence in your calling will lead you to more birds.

MK M GOBL