Main Menu

870 sps sure shot 23 in. Barrel ????

Started by Bayou Gold, January 14, 2016, 10:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bayou Gold

I am curious to hear thoughts on this turkey gun.  Found one local for $585

Others considered are nice but used SX3 for $850+tax

Stoeger m3000 new and similar price as sps 870

Binelli Super Vinci $1200 +tax which seems like good deal but far upper limits of willing budget

MK M GOBL

So are you looking for a pump gun or semi-auto??? I have a buddy with a couple 11-87's with the sure-shot, Nikon turkey pro scope and kick's tube and couldn't be happier. My gun is custom from top to bottom, built it many years ago and our gun smith team did an awesome job with it! If I did it again I would have a Benelli M2 20ga custom shop, I shot a buddies and with his setup it was devastating on turkeys and quite a bit lighter than the 12's...

MK M GOBL

Bayou Gold

Although I would probably prefer a semi, the pump being a little less expensive has me impartial

Bayou Gold

There seems to be more of these 870 sps sure shot available with a 20 in. Barrel but think I prefer a little longer which is why I am leaning towards the 23 in. Barrel option

Love the sure shot stock and that combined wit its price is why it is currently atop my list

Currently shooting 1100  btw with Indian Creek .665 ported

MK M GOBL

I would tell you with the guys around my area 870's are the work horses that don't die. Seen them in the bottom of every duck boat here on the Mississippi, handed down from generation to generation and them guns don't quit. I opted for my 11-87 a bit more maintenance but I'll take her, lots of birds under the belt with it. Don't know if you are looking at the scope option but wouldn't have mine any other way.

MK M GOBL

Gooserbat

Unless your just a diehard auto fan, that 870 will be the way to go.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bayou Gold

It certainly more fitting for budget than others, and for turkey hunting alone, I have no issue with pump. 

Thanks for vote of confidence....next purchase will be a couple of your OSS!!

jordanz7935

Cant go wrong with an 870 for a turkey gun. My buddy has the sps with 20inch barrel and its a sweet setup.I was impressed on how the stock seemed to soak up the recoil of 3.5" mags.If u plan on shooting open sights I'd get the 23" bbl sps.but if u plan on using optics I'd go with the 20" bel sps because it comes drilled and tapped with rail and a decent red/green dot.Also the 20" bbl sps has rubber overmolded on the grip area of the the shurshot stock and for end whereas the 23" sps doesn't. Also both models are selling for $532 @ budsgunshop.com.And don't overlook a Mossberg 835 or 935 they are awesome Turkey guns that pattern great and won't break the bank.

nyhunter

I love mine , It shoots H-13, Win. long beard, and the old Win. Extended range awesome. I have a .660 jelly head in it but it also patterned really good with a Kicks .655 and .660

Bayou Gold

Thanks for the replies.  I currently have a 665 Indian creek that I have been using in my 1100 that I will try, but have heard great things about Jelly 660.  Certainly be first in line if I do purchase another choke

Gobble!

I have a 870 SPS Max Gobbler with a 23" barrel and use a .665 Indian Creek. No complaints here. Only stop using it if I go to a 20g.

Bayou Gold

Quote from: jordanz7935 on January 15, 2016, 10:26:28 AM
Cant go wrong with an 870 for a turkey gun. My buddy has the sps with 20inch barrel and its a sweet setup.I was impressed on how the stock seemed to soak up the recoil of 3.5" mags.If u plan on shooting open sights I'd get the 23" bbl sps.but if u plan on using optics I'd go with the 20" bel sps because it comes drilled and tapped with rail and a decent red/green dot.Also the 20" bbl sps has rubber overmolded on the grip area of the the shurshot stock and for end whereas the 23" sps doesn't. Also both models are selling for $532 @ budsgunshop.com.And don't overlook a Mossberg 835 or 935 they are awesome Turkey guns that pattern great and won't break the bank.

Interesting, and thanks for the reply...I had no idea that barrel length affected the sight efficiencies.  Particularly just going from 20 to 23 in. 

My initial plan was to shoot open sights then perhaps add a red dot,etc. in the future...so again thanks for the information

Bayou Gold

Just found one in 23in. For $489.  Now I need a plan to sneak it into the back of the safe.   Lol

kcrebel

Quote from: Bayou Gold on January 21, 2016, 01:28:14 PM

I had no idea that barrel length affected the sight efficiencies.  Particularly just going from 20 to 23 in. 

My initial plan was to shoot open sights then perhaps add a red dot,etc. in the future...so again thanks for the information

The longer barrel will give negligible at best sight efficiencies.  We are talking about a shotgun not a pistol where longer barrel lengths are inherently more accurate.  The longer barrel
WILL give incredible shot performance benefits.  I read a very in-depth article on barrel lengths for turkey loads once and the writer found the ideal length was 23" for muzzle velocity, downrange energy and pattern performance.
I've got the original thumbhole 870 that has the 23" barrel and I have yet to own and pattern a gun better.  I have not found any perceivable benefit in having the shorter barrel for killing turkeys.  Not only do they underperform but they are also dramatically louder and therefore harder on our ears.   

Bayou Gold

The 20 in just felt too short, and I figured it would blow ear drums as a result.   

Great to hear the 23. Is optimal barrel length...my gun cMe in today.  Gonna deep clean barrel this weekend, wrap up deer season and hen probably shoot the new toy next weekend