OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Carlson Longbeard XR Choke Tube

Started by kyturkeyhunter4, January 11, 2016, 04:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyturkeyhunter4

Any of you guys every use the Carlson LongBeard XR choke tubes. I was just curious how they shot,I've heard good things about them.

PALongspur

Several of my buddies are shooting them and I tried one in my SBE2. Good performer at a very reasonable price but my Final Strut still does better.

kyturkeyhunter4

I've heard that they where about like Hevi Shot

DAk28

I shoot it and I'm really pleased with it throws a nice even pattern out of my 870. I shoot it with 3 inch #5 shot  Winchester longbeard xr

wmn2

This is the tube I'm going to get for my Winchester SXP turkey. Planning on shooting the longbeard XR in #5. 3 or 3 1/2 I don't know yet, going to see which the gun likes better. I'm hoping the 3 1/2

Tennessee Lead

I bought one mid season last year to use with the XR's
My 835 loves it.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

HunterMc23

I've heard they do really good in the mossberg 835 with the longbeard shells.

deerbasshunter3

Are they supposed to be the best chokes to use with the LB ammo, or are they just another way for Winchester to make a few bucks?

DAk28

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on January 19, 2016, 09:03:20 PM
Are they supposed to be the best chokes to use with the LB ammo, or are they just another way for Winchester to make a few bucks?
they are made by Carlson chokes and designed to work with the Winchester lb ammo. I don't think Winchester is getting any money from them, they are making plenty off there shells.

Capt.hooks

Check out Indian Creek.... They are winning all their titles with this same ammo, that is what I was told by a source in the target shooting world

kcrebel

Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on January 12, 2016, 11:45:12 PM
I've heard that they where about like Hevi Shot

Not even close in my Browning Maxus.  Carlson's makes the HeviShot tube also fwiw.  I can't explain it as every gun will shoot a little differently.  If I had to guess they developed the HeviShot tube to shoot the Magnum Blend ammo. 
The Longbeard XR choke by far and away patterned better than the Indian Creek choke they recommended for my gun, the HeviShot tube, the Kick's Gobbling Thunder choke they recommended and the Jeb's choke they recommended.  All shooting Longbeard XR 3.5 5's and 6's.  I shot each at 10 yards to verify point of aim then shot each load through each choke at a laser measured 50 yards to see which pattern held together best.  My gun preferred the 6's. 
I've got three guns that I have patterned for turkey loads.  Soon to be 4.  Each of them use a different choke tube and shot size.  2 of them are Remington 870's and they are drastically different even though the barrels are 23 and 26" respectively. 
Find some friends that have tubes you can use and embrace the pain.  Lol 
That is the only true way to find out what your gun likes and is capable of.