OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Should I join the NWTF?

Started by southern_leo, January 09, 2016, 09:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

I have considered joining the NWTF and want some opinions. Do yall see real value in being a member? All such organizations make claims of helping conservation, but some talk more than contribute and funds end up in pockets instead of fields. So if you are a member or have been why are you now, and if you left why did you leave it. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

catman529

Go to the convention in Nashville and get your membership there. If it's like past years you will get a bass pro shops gift card that is almost the same value and bass pro is right down the street so you can go use it afterwards and buy some turkey stuff or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

southern_leo

The basspro card does make it tempting because I'll spend more then $25 there anyway so the membership essentially will only be $10.

Bowguy

Join brother, they are an active orginization. The grass roots things they do are amazing. I can speak locally about what I've seen n been involved in. we've done disabled vet n youth hunts. 
The Jakes days are unreal Id never miss one. Also deer hunts for the same even helped the hunters sight in or pattern guns. They've managed land by planting large areas w seed beneficial to turkeys and other wildlife.
I'm sure they didnt pick a part of rural NJ as a showcase area so they must be doing it everywhere. NWTF and Ducks Unlimited are two of the best orginizations imo. They both do a lot to support the sport.
Get in touch with your local or state chapter, you'd be amazed at the things they do

southern_leo

Ok I'm in just submitted my app. Thanks yall.

dejake

They were responsible for establishing a huntable population in Delaware.  I can now hunt in my home state, whereas 20 years ago, there were no turkeys.  Can't beat that.

southern_leo

Quote from: dejake on January 10, 2016, 05:47:33 AM
They were responsible for establishing a huntable population in Delaware.  I can now hunt in my home state, whereas 20 years ago, there were no turkeys.  Can't beat that.
That's the kind of info I was hoping to hear. I'm in middle TN but still think that's awesome!

VaGobbler

Here is a news release of recent report of the NWTF by America's largest charity evaluator. 

http://www.nwtf.org/about/state-news/nwtf-good-stewards-of-contributions

I think you made a good decision in joining, but you could also get involved at your local level.

Bowguy

Quote from: dejake on January 10, 2016, 05:47:33 AM
They were involved in the 80s in NJ too

allaboutshooting

I've been a member about 35 years. I've watched the organization grow and its influence grow as well. The NWTF represents its membership in both state and national government and helps to keep hunting, shooting and the way of life we all enjoy at the forefront of attention of legislators. It also forms partnerships with other like minded hunting and conservations organizations to increase its influence and give us a strong and united voice.

The partnerships it's made with the business world is also very important. Without the support of businesses and the donations they have made, so much of what has been accomplished would not be possible.

It's already been mentioned but programs like Wheelin' Sportsmen, Women in the Outdoors and JAKES have provided and continue to provide conservation, hunting and shooting opportunities for many who might not otherwise have them.

The new Palmetto Shooting Complex in Edgefield is pretty amazing. I'd encourage anyone to visit it, learn more about it and see what the future holds there.

Lastly, none of the above could have been accomplished without the wonderful members who serve as volunteers for so many of the activities that take place each year. I have never regretted one hour of work or one dollar I've donated or spent at any NWTF activity.

We need everyone who has an interest in shooting, hunting or conservation to consider joining this organization.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

southern_leo

Awesome. I'm happy I went ahead and joined.

Gooserbat

NWTF is as good as you make it.  Become a volunteer and I'm sure you're local chapter will welcome another committee member.  I know ours would.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

Yes, they have help with many turkey projects in Tenn, and have help supported TWRA with much needed equipment.

Timmer

For the most part it is a very good organization.  As with any nonprofit group, there are always politics and other influences for which you may not agree with a portion of the activities.  At the corporate level they do a lot of habitat work which benefits us all and provides for future generations.  In my neck of the woods the local chapters do a lot of work with youth and fundraising that has nothing to do with turkey hunting, such as food shelf donations.   Consider joining a committee if you really want to get involved and meet like-minded people.  I've made some great friends from the committee.

Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!