OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Index or Bird Finger?

Started by Westernmassman, January 08, 2016, 11:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westernmassman

Practicing with my first trumpet call. Is there an advantage to using the index finger vs the bird finger, or does it come down to personal preference and hand size? thanks

guesswho

I think it's a personal preference issue.  I use my middle finger.  Seems more natural and easier for me to control.  As far as advantages and disadvantages I don't think there are any.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

I use my index finger on one of mine and middle on the other one that I have.

worth612000

That's funny sort of, due to I never thought about it. I use my middle finger due to it happens to be in the right place for me. Del Crow "savduck" has a great video that teaches trumpet call playing and how to hold the trumpet call.

http://youtu.be/h9xqrwAGYmU

Advance Calling

http://youtu.be/WpAMClA7jB8

M Sharpe

I don't use any up in the barrel. I just lay my fingers across the opening, back way off the pressure and maintain lip tension.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Some of us have little short sausage fingers and can't run one one handed Mark.:D

nitro

IMHO, a man should not use a finger in the barrel of the call period.

Make a good consistent sound chamber with one hand and learn to control the draw of air into the instrument .

This is how I was taught and most of the highly skilled trumpet players I know use this method ..but, whatever works ..some folks use two hands and sound "ok"
Royal Slam 2008

callmakerman

Quote from: M Sharpe on January 09, 2016, 08:19:34 AM
I don't use any up in the barrel. I just lay my fingers across the opening, back way off the pressure and maintain lip tension.
Same for me.

drenalinld

No fingers in or across the opening for me. Just a chamber mostly closed off.

savduck

I use my index finger some, middle finger some, fat of the palm of my hand some. Sometimes my finger is slightly in the trumpet, sometimes it's just across the opening. Depends on the trumpet and what it takes to get good back pressure for your draw and good tone. Sometimes it's more about comfort. Some calls bells are wider, flared, curved, etc.

Use what your comfortable with and practice.
Georgia Boy

outdoors

I HAVE AGREE WITH SAVDUCK I JUST COULDN'T PUT IN ALL THOSE WORDS
DIFFERENT PRESSURE DIFFERENT TONE OR SOUND ....... NOT THE BIRD FINGER ........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Westernmassman

Thanks for the input and especially the links!  Got a long way to go before I will sound that good!

KPcalls

I use my middle finger to adjust the flow of air to various degrees on the outside of the bell of the call. All of my calling is done with one hand unless I'm looking for high volume trying to strike a bird.

The Cohutta Strutter

Western, just something else for you to play around with. With a 2 hand hold and slightly opened at the bottom bring your arms down onto your chest keeping the bell of the call 3 or so inches off you chest. With a little practice you can get some pretty loud and sharp cutting that way. The volume picks way up and seems to bounce off your chest but can always be toned done and I'm sure there are folks that run them entirely that way. I watched a well known call maker run his trumpet and it was close to his chest and at a very low volume for our ears anyway. I think your gonna have a blast with your trumpet.
Anybody seen America lately?

davisd9

KP showed me his technique of playing one handed yesterday.  I have practiced a bit using his one handed method and I think I am getting the hang of it. Need to relax my hand some. Got some practicing to do but I think I will get there.  If I can get half as good at it as KP then I will be just fine.  His soft clucks drug a gobble out of me.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer