OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dirty Tricks

Started by TrophyTracker, March 29, 2011, 12:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrophyTracker

What is the dirtiest trick or type of hijinks you have pulled on public land during Turkey Season? From removing trail tape and cat's eyes and placing them in another direction, to plain lying about gobbler sightings to weekend warriors, how have you gotten rid of some frustration in the sometimes overcrowded woods?
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

socalturkeyman

Calling the gamewards to patrol since there was alot of violations in my areas. Maybe there might be a few less ppl out my way during deer season.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

BOFF

Quote from: TrophyTracker on March 29, 2011, 12:20:38 AM
What is the dirtiest trick or type of hijinks you have pulled on public land during Turkey Season? From removing trail tape and cat's eyes and placing them in another direction, to plain lying about gobbler sightings to weekend warriors, how have you gotten rid of some frustration in the sometimes overcrowded woods?

As for the overcrowded woods, it's a frustration no doubt. However, those people have just as much right as myself to be there. I guess the dirtiest trick I think one can do to the others, is sticking with it, playing fair, and bagging a gobbler.  ;)

God Bless,
David B.

chatterbox

Quote from: BOFF on March 29, 2011, 06:27:42 AM
Quote from: TrophyTracker on March 29, 2011, 12:20:38 AM

As for the overcrowded woods, it's a frustration no doubt. However, those people have just as much right as myself to be there. I guess the dirtiest trick I think one can do to the others, is sticking with it, playing fair, and bagging a gobbler.  ;)

God Bless,
David B.
I agree with David on this. I have never done anything to mess up anothers hunt. I have a hard enough time. I don't need to offend the turkey gods by hurting somebody elses chances.

harvester

Most of the time the weekend warriors are gone after the first or second weekend of season after they don't hear nothin. Then you got the whole place to yourself but I NEVER see or hear anything.  :icon_thumright:

CB on the run

I never did anything but I used to hunt a glorious eastern facing hillside in Amish country.  I don't know how many times they messed me up on a bird walking around in mainly blue jeans and white straw hats.  The hill side was finally posted and I lost a prime spot.  I killed about a dozen birds there and called a couple more in for friends.

CB

catdaddy

I've purposely walked backwards in sand or soft mud to make them think I was going in instead of coming out. Also, they watch me like a hawk at my hunting club on Montgomery Island. Many times I will park my truck at the entrance of a woods road to make it look like I was hunting in that area when in fact, I hiked a half a mile the other way to hunt another spot. 

bird

I've never done anything myself but I know a guy that hung a pair of dirty sweaty socks & underwear near his brothers tree stand during deer season.  They both were after the same buck!

Oh Brotherly Love!
   :love5:

Reloader

I haven't done anything dirty to others, I try to stay away from them. 

I can't believe ya'll hear gobblers on public land, we never hear a peep ;) 

I will not deer hunt public land period.  There's just something about a bunch of crazy rednecks with CF rifles and pockets full of doe tags that turns me away.

lightsoutcalls

Last year we called in 3 different counties here in AR and didn't hear a single bird.  At our last location, a place where we have had good success deer hunting over the years, we heard one of the sorriest sounding hen yelps ever.  I told my buddy that this was no regular hen turkey, but a plastic potted hen turkey with lung issues.  He commented along the same lines that this was some of the worst calling he had heard in his life.  We had been there over an hour moving along a couple of ridges and down some creekbanks... no bird sign whatsoever.  We were getting ready to head out and heard the plastic potted hen yelp again.  I told my buddy to cross the creek towards the truck with me to get out of shotgun range.  Once across the creek, we waited for the pitiful yelp again.  I cut the plastic potted hen off with a gobble from a tube call.  We couldn't help but giggle a bit as we went the last 50 yards or so to the truck.  I later wondered if the guy knew it wasn't a real gobbler...  My guess is that if he thought that plastic pot sounded like a real hen, he was probably ecstatic to hear a turkey gobble to his calling... ;D
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

Nothing other than lying through my teeth about not seeing or hearing anything when a fellow hunter ask if I did any good.

jakesdad

Quote from: redarrow on March 29, 2011, 11:06:17 AM
Nothing other than lying through my teeth about not seeing or hearing anything when a fellow hunter ask if I did any good.

I only hunt private ground and I do that!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Tail Feathers

I've never messed with anyone else's stuff or markings but I've sure rubbed a few turkey tracks out and disguised my location much like catdaddy has.

And NEVER give out a tom's favored spot. :z-winnersmiley:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Reloader

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 29, 2011, 11:44:50 AM
I've never messed with anyone else's stuff or markings but I've sure rubbed a few turkey tracks out and disguised my location much like catdaddy has.

And NEVER give out a tom's favored spot. :z-winnersmiley:

So I guess I'm not the only guy that makes alot of boot tracks when I'm on good sign :D

huntdrut

i go deep to avoid the crowds and i keep the fruits of my labor to myself, if you want to call that dirty.  don't care to mislead anyone, just not interested in giving the farm away if you know what i mean.
Remington 1187 - Jellyhead - Nikon Turkeypro