OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Non-camo hunting attire

Started by jakesdad, December 31, 2015, 12:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler777

54 years ago I remember my turkey hunting mentor telling me "just sit still boy, I mean still". Even with that he pushed using a face mask and gloves. My first camo outfit was a set of green Army fatigues with tan splotches added from a spray can of tan paint. LOLs I do wear full outfit of modern camo now.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

shaman

For the most spectacular turkey hunting moment of my life, I was wearing brown Carhart bibs and barn coat, and sipping coffee out of a stainless thermos. I was out in the open with the sun shining on me.

That year, I think it was 2010, a group of 10 2-yr olds roaming the foot of Gobbler's Knob. I was over on the next hill drinking my morning coffee and hoping to catch sight of them when they came out.  We called them the Gay Turkey Herd, because they shunned females and would only display for each other.  I was pro-staffing for Turkey & Turkey Hunting and kept a running account of their goings-on that season on the forum.

So there I was, sitting on a boat cushion, drinking my morning coffee, and all of a sudden the entire Gay Turkey Herd came out of the woods  just below me, and walked right up.  They spent about 20 minutes displaying for me, some were as close as 5 feet away and one gob came over and  eye my red boot laces.  There was nothing I could do, but sit there with that thermos in one hand and the cup in the other and let my coffee get cold.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

sps20

There's 3 things I've learned hunting turkeys over the last 52 years.
They are don't move,Patience and don't move. Camo or not!
Regards
Turk

kevin2

Trebark is awesome. Not for that, we'd be in the dark ages with camo patterns still. LOVE MY TREBARK! First Gortex stuff I ever bought...
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

gobbledinner9

I've had quite a few successful hunts in all black clothing or sometimes I'll wear green. Expensive camo helps but doesn't really make or break the hunt in my experience.

HartClemson99

"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

shaman

I have a theory about all this. 

As I age, I find myself able to sit for longer and longer with less and less movement.  Turkey hunting has become a lot easier over the years.  It isn't a function of discipline either.  I just don't move as much.  I can remember back before I was 18.  My body was in constant motion. I had a hard time stopping it-- lots of nervous energy.  Just after I turned 45, I started having an underactive Thyroid, and now I find that I have to force myself to move, otherwise my limbs go to sleep. 

On the other hand, I have been bringing my sons and now my grand daughter into the sport, and I can't help but notice how much they move around.  They can't help it. I'm sure they're not even aware of it.

Me?  I'm the sort of fellow that can with his back to a tree all morning and let the hens peck at my boot laces.

Everyone else?  Constant motion, and constant noise-- skin grating on clothing, clothing on clothing, clothing on dirt and leaves.  If you yourself are being quiet enough, you can hear it and see it, and it certainly works against a hunter  in dealing with turkeys.

I suppose this is all a natural progression. Another 50 years or so, I'll slow down enough that I assume ambient temperature and the Good Lord will take me and leave the rest to become mulch. In the meanwhile, I'll enjoy being still.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

outdoors

HECK BACK IN THE DAY THERE WASNT ANY CAMO JUST JEANS AND A FLANNEL  SHIRT  ...........
THATS WHAT IM STARTING TO WHERE CANT AFORD THE CAMO ANYMORE ...........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Rick Howard

I hunt everything in a pair of carharts.  I have spilled enough tung oil on them over the years to make them pretty water resistant.  I normally wear a camo shirt of jacket on top. 

Happy

Haven't personally hunted without camo but I did go out with my grandad years ago. It's a rather humorous and long story but the end result is I killed the tom that I was calling in for him. He was wearing a black and green plaid jacket and blue jeans. He is has never been an avid turkey hunter but he has spent his entire life hunting deer. He has always swore you don't need camo for even turkeys. I tend to agree you don't have to have camo but it does help. Specially when a turkey is coming in looking for the source of the calling.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club