OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Its on like Donky Kong in Tennesse,,,,, for the shroom hunters.

Started by Crutch, March 28, 2011, 11:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crutch

Bruce and I found 105 this afternoon. Going to have a mushroom supper for my parents, aunts and uncles Friday night along with some fried turkey nuggets.  Yum Yum.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

BOFF

Bonjour

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

njdevilsb

I have never eaten any kind of mushroom in my life, but you guys have got me wanting to try Morels.  Apparently we have them up here in New York, although I can't ever remember seeing one.  I really haven't looked though and I have always thought it was more of a southern thing.  I think I may take a peek around this spring and see what I can find.  

Basser69

I have never seen one in my life down here in Alabama but have always wanted to try one

Jay

We are in the process of getting more snow here, so I think the chances of me finding morels are slim ::) Some good eaten there. :icon_thumright:

harvester

You hit the mother load. Most of the time I can only find a handful. Good eating. WTG.  :icon_thumright:

CB on the run

What times supper?  I'm a distant cousin on your Aunt's sister's husband's side.

CB

PANYHunter

Those look great!!  Where is the best place to find them?

Crutch

NJDEVILSB, my wife will not eat a "regular" mushroom, no matter how they are cooked but she did try one of these 2 years ago and is hooked on them now. She doesn't just like them OK either. She loves them. They are not like other mushrooms.  I have read that they are the closest thing to a truffle, (the expensive kind they find underground in Europe). To me, they have a woodsy flavor with a slight hint of fish.  Maybe that is why people call them "Dry Land Fish".

PanyHunter, I look everywhere, however wooded areas that don't get direct sunlight all day long, (facing north maybe). Also tend to do really well under Poplar trees and especially Elms. Fruit trees also do well.  At 25 + dollars or more a pound, they are worth the effort, although I wouldn't sell any.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

870FaceLift

I agree with Crutch.  We find em in our Ohio woods on shaded, mossy slopes and around deadfalls that are out of direct sunlight.  They are mighty tasty.  If you gather them in a perferated sack, they will release spores as you walk, and its not uncommon to find alot more in a few days where you had just been!
Pass it on...

Slowshoe

Looks good :you_rock: the only shrooms we find down here are the ones that cause you to trip :policeman:
Swamp Dragons beware.

SR1

Quote from: Slowshoe on March 29, 2011, 10:04:44 AM
Looks good :you_rock: the only shrooms we find down here are the ones that cause you to trip :policeman:
Thats not all that bad if your into that kind of thing lol.. :bike2:
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]