Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Smoke Phase, Albino, Red Phase, Someone's pet???

Started by AntiqueFarmEquipment, December 31, 2015, 12:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntiqueFarmEquipment

I did some fall hunting this morning and took a unique Jake I thought was a smoke phase. After looking at more photos on the internet I have know clue what this bird is. Had a gobbler to my left 250+ in the woods gobbling (crazy weather crazy birds I guess) but this guy came out from the other direction so I laid him down as ice ever seen anything like him??? Gobbler the came running out of the woods and whooped his dead butt up! So I doubled up. Gobbler went 12" 1-3/8 to 1-1/2" Spurs and he's heavy. No idea how heavy it he was difficult to carry. Anyways what is the Jake I shot. Ferrel???

jepcho

I think it's a wild turkey. The color phases can appear differently from one bird to another. If anything this would be a smoke phase. I've seen a smoke phase and an albino in the wild before and the albino was pure white. The smoke phase looked similar to what you've taken. I am definitely not an expert so this is just my opinion. Ive also been fortunate enough to take a melanistic (black phase) Tom a few years ago. Congrats on what looks to be a rare trophy!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kyturkeyhunter4

Dr Juice

Regardless, it's a dead bird and I would have layed it to him. Congrats and enjoy.

Old Timer53

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jepcho

Quote from: Tail Feathers on December 31, 2015, 02:09:24 PM
I don't know but he looks safe to eat!
Haha! I agree with that!
And again, congrats to the OP!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

VA_Birdhunter

Two beautiful birds!! Congrats on a great hunt!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

WV Ridge Reaper

The white one looks like someone's tame bird,just looking at how the tail feathers are all split up.

Weather it's tame or not congrats and enjoy the breast meat!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AntiqueFarmEquipment

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on December 31, 2015, 06:25:31 PM
The white one looks like someone's tame bird,just looking at how the tail feathers are all split up.

Weather it's tame or not congrats and enjoy the breast meat!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got beat up by the big guy after I shot him pretty bad which is why he looks so rough. Here a picture of him strutting to give you a better idea

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!!

TauntoHawk

I don't know but he's cool I'd have shot him for sure and congrats on the big gobbler

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

eddie234

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

chadly