Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 3" 21" barrel choke recommendations.

Started by nhhunter722, December 24, 2015, 08:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhhunter722

Hey everyone!

Pretty new to the forum and only my 2nd-3rd post. Anyways looking for some help on picking a good all around choke for a Remington 870 21" barrel 3" chamber, I deep cleaned and polished the barrel. I have a large supply of the Fed Thugs 3" 5s & 6s and the Win LB's are available locally everywhere. Ive killed 6-8 gobblers with the Fed Thugs. I hunt ridge/woods birds so most shots are 25 yd average and at the max 40 yds. So Im looking for any advise on chokes for lead loads to produce solid hunting pattern...... I really appreciate it, thanks! 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: nhhunter722 on December 24, 2015, 08:48:35 PM
Hey everyone!

Pretty new to the forum and only my 2nd-3rd post. Anyways looking for some help on picking a good all around choke for a Remington 870 21" barrel 3" chamber, I deep cleaned and polished the barrel. I have a large supply of the Fed Thugs 3" 5s & 6s and the Win LB's are available locally everywhere. Ive killed 6-8 gobblers with the Fed Thugs. I hunt ridge/woods birds so most shots are 25 yd average and at the max 40 yds. So Im looking for any advise on chokes for lead loads to produce solid hunting pattern...... I really appreciate it, thanks!

It's good to have you here. It looks like you've done your homework and the shells that you have should work very well in that gun. After more than a year of shooting the WLB shells, I'd recommend that you consider a Wright's #3 turkey choke with your 21" barrelled 870 http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=82&products_id=325
That choke is just doing an exceptional job with both of those shells, especially with the WLB shells. It just works!
Please let me know if I may be of help.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Longshanks

Kicks .655 for lead, Indian Creek .665 for Hevi shot. Been through allot of chokes/loads out of my 870 21" 3" before settling on these chokes. I have heard that the Wrights choke that Clark mentioned is excellent as well.

owlhoot

Carlson .660 works well in mine with the thugs 5 shot, cheap unported one.

Tom Foolery

Kicks .660 in my 870 shorty, if I had it to do over again I would probably try a .655.  My .660 is decent with lead and very good with heavy shot.  I think the .655 would tighten up the lead patterns.

tnanh

The Remington Ventilator has been a great choke for lead in my 21 inch 870. If you can find one they are usually not terribly expensive and the numbers with 5 and 6 lead were very good for lead. Somewhere in the 130 range but I don't remember exactly. I think I bought my ventilator and my sons from Neumrich Arms.

Msbowhunter76

Not to hijack the man's thread here but...I shoot the same gun. I have 4, 5, and 6s in the WLB. Guy at IC sent me .665. Sounds like I need to go tighter??? I planned on patterning this setup before season.

SKFOOTER

The Original Primos Jellyhead .660 was made for the short barreled Remington 870 and 1187.   :OGturkeyhead:

nhhunter722

allaboutshooting

Quote from: nhhunter722 on December 28, 2015, 08:20:34 PM
Thank you everyone for your input and help!

You're welcome. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Please let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Izzyjoe

What kind of choke does the gun have now? Factory full would do well at 25 yards, past 30 maybe kinda thin. If want to try an economicle choke, the primos tightwad is a good choke for the money. I've talked to a few that really liked them, the jellyhead is also a great choke. It's best to what works for your application, and budget.

Gobble!

If 40 yards is your max get some of the Winchester LBs in #6. Jelly Head in .660 would be tough to beat for the price and its been a proven choke over the years. I myself am a Indian Creek fan but they are about double the price.