turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Gun

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, December 22, 2015, 08:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

I have a buddy that is in the market for a new turkey gun.  What is the latest and greatest pattering gun out there?

Looking for advice.

Thanks 

zeke632

Lots of options & opinions. 
Have your buddy go look at new guns, pick them up and handle the ones he likes.  Go from there.

paboxcall

Quote from: zeke632 on December 22, 2015, 10:46:57 AM
Have your buddy go look at new guns, pick them up and handle the ones he likes.  Go from there.

That's step one.  Any gun - new or old - with the right choke and load will throw a devastating pattern out to 40 yards.  Lots of research already done here on OG under the patterning header to help you.

So get a gun that is comfy and handles well, then go from there.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

turkeyfoot

A Remm. 870 is my all time favorite have shot others but that is my go to gun put a Rhino choke and shoot some hevi shot trough it deadly

dirt road ninja

For what it's worth, my next turkey rig will be an Ithaca. It's a very well put together, high quality gun.

1tiogabowhunter

Thanks wow I did not notice the turkey gun / patterning forum - I am good thanks for the info

saltysenior

down here most of the hunting is not done in wide open woods or pastures....and we never have a heavy frost to open things up........if i had to start all over, i would think about an 3'' over and under with a real tight barrel setup and one I C barrel w/ 71/2 shot...

Bowguy

Mossberg 835 is tough to beat. I'm looking at a turkey slayer for a next gun. Used the ulti mag for over 20 years. The Ithaca is made here too

mgm1955

Quote from: paboxcall on December 22, 2015, 11:18:40 AM
Quote from: zeke632 on December 22, 2015, 10:46:57 AM

That's step one.  Any gun - new or old - with the right choke and load will throw a devastating pattern out to 40 yards.  Lots of research already done here on OG under the patterning header to help you.

So get a gun that is comfy and handles well, then go from there.
Good advice.

mwr

allaboutshooting

As has been said, there are many excellent turkey guns on the market today. It really becomes a matter of what fits and feels best to the hunter/shooter. Many times, a turkey gun is carried more than it's shot. We also spend a lot of time sitting with the gun "at the ready" or at least prepared to be at the ready. It can be important to see how a gun fits when you're sitting as well as how it balances in the hand. Weight is both a good and bad thing. It helps reduce recoil but it can become a burden if you walk a lot on your hunts. A good sling can be a real life saver.

Many hunters/shooter prefer a gun that can chamber 3.5" shells. I have no quarrel with that but frankly, a 3" shell can do everything that's needed to cleanly kill a turkey at any reasonable range. A 3.5" shell does not shoot further, it just contains more shot and has more recoil. By selecting the proper shell/choke combination your 3" gun will do all that's necessary.

You're a good friend to be of help and I'd encourage you to introduce your friend to this site.

Lastly, OG has led the way in promoting good sportsmanship and encouraging hunters to keep shots at 40 yards and under. The sport, and that's what it is, is more about the experience and not just the kill. Spending time at the range, patterning our guns, sharing that information and talking about those experiences as well as the hunt are all a part of the sport.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gamblinman

So many good turkey guns out there now...Binelli, Browning, Remington, Mossberg. I'm building a 11-87 Super Mag for this year.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

paboxcall

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 23, 2015, 08:08:27 AM
As has been said, there are many excellent turkey guns on the market today. It really becomes a matter of what fits and feels best to the hunter/shooter. Many times, a turkey gun is carried more than it's shot. We also spend a lot of time sitting with the gun "at the ready" or at least prepared to be at the ready. It can be important to see how a gun fits when you're sitting as well as how it balances in the hand. Weight is both a good and bad thing. It helps reduce recoil but it can become a burden if you walk a lot on your hunts. A good sling can be a real life saver.

Many hunters/shooter prefer a gun that can chamber 3.5" shells. I have no quarrel with that but frankly, a 3" shell can do everything that's needed to cleanly kill a turkey at any reasonable range. A 3.5" shell does not shoot further, it just contains more shot and has more recoil. By selecting the proper shell/choke combination your 3" gun will do all that's necessary.

You're a good friend to be of help and I'd encourage you to introduce your friend to this site.

Lastly, OG has led the way in promoting good sportsmanship and encouraging hunters to keep shots at 40 yards and under. The sport, and that's what it is, is more about the experience and not just the kill. Spending time at the range, patterning our guns, sharing that information and talking about those experiences as well as the hunt are all a part of the sport.

Thanks,
Clark

As always, Clark's advise is spot on.  To reinforce his point, I was toting a Winchester 1300 dipped in new Breakup with a 21" barrel, with a JH .660 and Hevi 13 in 3" #7.  Awesome shooter, but because I cover lots of ground, I returned to carrying a 20 year old NEF single shot factory dipped in original Bottomland.

Both guns shoot the same 3" shell and choke, they are interchangeable.  The single is way easier to carry long distances, easier to hold when set up waiting for a gobbler to come in, and devastating pattern like the 1300.  Both kick like crazy but that's part of it.  The 1300 is now the back up.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

mikejd

Tough to argue the advise from Clark.  Have your buddy fo.and shoulder all options in his price range.
My personal favorite is a Winchester 1300 Turkey or short. Although they are not made anymore they are pretty easy to find if you shop around.