turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who ever used the fighting purrs?

Started by deerpoo22, March 28, 2011, 08:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerpoo22

I dont have one myself,but I do know a couple turkey hunters who swear by them.Whats your guys experience been with them?

OLE RASPY

I used to have a push pull type box for fighting purrs but i chunked it 10 years ago.I havent done it since.

Skeeterbait

Not the push pin calls but I do fighting purrs on a slate combined with aggressive clucks and cutts added in.  it is really aggressive and I only us it as a last resort on birds that are close but henned up and will not come.  Twice it has worked for me and the toms cut from their hens and came literally running.

kershawbuck

I used them before with a pot call. Hunting a field one morning and could not get three birds to come in so I threw the fighting purrs at them ! Brought them in to gun range and the guy I was guiding killed the biggest one !!

jarbo03

I do it with a mouth call on occasion, it can go either way, depending on the aggression of the birds being called. Have not pulled any toms away but has been real effective on getting the dominant hen to come check you out, has only worked for me when birds are henned up.

HARDCORE

No, never, doesn't work, a complete waste of time......especially in Bama.  :gobble:

HC

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 28, 2011, 09:02:26 PM
Not the push pin calls but I do fighting purrs on a slate combined with aggressive clucks and cutts added in.
X 2  :icon_thumright:
In fact, I used that exact tactic to call in the 2 gobblers that skirted our set up this weekend, and were leaving. I can also purr on my diaphragm, so I can do that and the fighting purr on a slate or glass call. Used to have the double push pin fighting purr call, but it was pretty big to be toting around.

RutnNStrutn

Really HC?? I know it doesn't work all the time, but I've had it work 2 or 3 times, including 4 days ago.

HARDCORE

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 28, 2011, 09:29:21 PM
Really HC?? I know it doesn't work all the time, but I've had it work 2 or 3 times, including 4 days ago.

I must be doing it wrong!  ;)

I was being facetious.

HC

FttFttVroom!

I bought a set of the original Knight & Hale "fightin' purr" calls and still have em.  I haven't used them in several years though and there is no telling where I put them.  The few times I did use them they worked.  I had turkeys that were going away from me turn around and run to the call.  I got tired of hauling the two big clunky plastic boxes around that always seemed to purr on their own at the most inopportune time.

deerpoo22

Thanks for some input guys.I just bought the fighting purrs that knight and hale make.Spring turkey is in a month for me in pa.Can't wait to try them out.

ground control

I had heard of it but never tried it till last year. I was hunting with a buddy and there were several birds a long way off. He fired up his pot call and four birds came running a LONG distance to get to us. The last bird I killed last season came to a fighting/aggressive call. I've used with absolutely no luck as well. Like someone else said, I tend to use it as a last resort, but it can work.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

NYbassman

It is one of those things that when used at the right time can be deadly. Can recall at least a half dozen NY longbeards over the past 4 years that have succumbed to fighting purrs and very aggressive cutting. Most came literally running. If you use it in the right situation is is totally deadly, but don't enter the woods expecting to use it IMO. It takes just the right circumstances for it to be successful.

hookedspur

Try it someday just before you give up on one , THEY WILL WORK. I have used both the push pin box and a slate pot and at times they act like they cant get there fast enough ,and at times they act like you are not even there ,but thats turkey hunting.  :wave:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bowhunter84

i have a buddy who swears by the fighting purrs. he uses them often and is a very successful turkey hunter.