turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth call maintenance?

Started by Treecall, March 28, 2011, 07:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treecall

I wanna keep my calls fresh and sounding good without hurting the reeds and sound of the call. Do any of you guys have any suggestions. I just don't want the reeds sticking together
Shoot the strutter

fullcurl

use tooth picks or reed savers. I just rinse my calls with cold water and then let air dry ut of direct sun. Store them in a cool dark area, doesn't have to be cold. Seperating stuck reeds is very simple.

OLE RASPY

I use tooth picks to seperate reeds and soak them in some mouth wash and let air dry.

fl panhandler

Try to make sure that the mouthwash is alcohol free.
Rick

shootumindaface

I always have good intentions, alcohol free mouth wash, rinse,dry refrigerate..

But heck in the off season they sit on an end table and during season they stay in a aerated snuff can LOL

turkey_slayer

Best way I have found is to rinse them with alcohol free mouth wash then stick them in the freezer.  Grab them in the morning and pop them in the mouth for a few seconds till they thaw and you are good to go  :icon_thumright:

TauntoHawk

I use a mouthwasher mixed with water and store in the fridge. Seems to work pretty good and keeps the from getting bacteria in them
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

stinkpickle

I actually use a mouthwash WITH alcohol to kill any bacteria on the call.  I just pour it in the case call (to sanitize it too) and shake the case for about 20-30 seconds.  It works just fine if you rinse it and the case off real good, dry it, and use something to separate the reeds, like toothpicks tips.

shootumindaface

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 29, 2011, 10:23:38 AM
and use something to separate the reeds, like toothpicks tips.
Wood or Plastic?

stinkpickle

LX_Trkyhntr

I usually just wash them with water, pat them dry, and stick them in the refrigerator.  When I pull them out the reeds are stuck, but I pop them in my mouth and let them get saturated then pull the reeds apart.  I am using calls this year that are a couple of years old that still sound GREAT!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

stinkpickle

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 29, 2011, 10:47:13 AM
Quote from: stinkpickle on March 29, 2011, 10:38:16 AM
Quote from: shootumindaface on March 29, 2011, 10:31:27 AM
Wood or Plastic?

Usually plastic.
Round or flat

I like them about halfway in between.  I caught some little blond girl in my house going thru them saying stuff like..."This toothpick is too round, and this toothpick is too flat....but THIS toothpick is just right.  Chomp, chomp, chomp..."  That little turd ate my porridge, too.   :(

shootumindaface

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 29, 2011, 10:55:39 AM
Wood or Plastic?

Usually plastic.
Round or flat

I like them about halfway in between.  I caught some little blond girl in my house going thru them saying stuff like..."This toothpick is too round, and this toothpick is too flat....but THIS toothpick is just right.  Chomp, chomp, chomp..."  That little turd ate my porridge, too.   :(

If all you had access to was wood, what is a good wood for separating reeds?

stinkpickle

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 29, 2011, 11:11:14 AM
Quote from: stinkpickle on March 29, 2011, 10:55:39 AM
Wood or Plastic?

Usually plastic.
Round or flat

If all you had access to was wood, what is a good wood for separating reeds?

I would suggest a delicious, kiln-dried hard maple variety.  Pines and other soft woods interfere with the taste of my bourbon.