turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Turkey Call

Started by BillBlanks, September 29, 2015, 11:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillBlanks

Ok - I'm sure this has been discussed plenty of times in different threads......but if you had to take only one call in to the woods with you, what would it be?

I've tried many of the big named diaphragms out there, but always find myself coming back to my Quaker Boy Grand Old Master box call.  For some reason I just love the way it sounds.  I'll keep a mouth call in for when the birds are getting in close, so I won't have to move my hands and can get set up for the shot with minimal movement. 

I hadn't tried many of the custom calls on the market, but I recently ordered a couple Hook Executioners and a Hooks Persuader.  I'm really impressed by both, especially the Executioner.  So much so, I may be able to limit my box calling to a very long distance.  So it just made me wonder......what's everyone's favorite?

Gut_Pile

I don't leave the truck without a Buice trumpet around my neck.
Proud Member of The Tenth Legion Since 2004

packmule

Enticer's "Appalachian Edge" slate.

Herb McClure

Thats  an easy one for me, SINCE 1966 Leon's turkey caller, has always been with me; and it's still doing the job; like it did 50 years ago.
herb mcclure

Tail Feathers

Hard to say exactly which because my taste changes from year to year it seems, but it would be a diaphragm call if I could only carry one.  Hooks Executioner or Woodhaven Red Wasp most likely.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

davisd9

David Loftis Crystal Screamer.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WildTigerTrout

Primos "True Double" mouth call.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

kansas hooks

a Woodhaven Red Wasp and a Ghostmaker friction call

greencop01

A Marlin Watkins butternut/bloodwood fiddle paddle  :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

chatterbox

My lights out slate over glass, and my Kaiser curly maple with purple heart sound board.

owlhoot

Two I got through this site.
Pappy's Osage and copper pot and Spring Creeks short box walnut

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: Herb McClure on September 29, 2015, 04:17:43 PM
Thats  an easy one for me, SINCE 1966 Leon's turkey caller, has always been with me; and it's still doing the job; like it did 50 years ago.
herb mcclure
Welcome to the OG Mr Herb!  Glad to see you on here.  Are you still my neighbor in Gainesville?  I think it's really impressive that ole Leon's caller is still killing mountain gobblers for you after all these years!
Allen
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Herb McClure

Hi Allen,
Yep, I am still in Gainesville, and tided-down like Last year. Hope to see you at Unicoi, come January 15th & 16th, 2016. As you know that is the Custom Call Maker's weekend.The weekend after the state convention, which is at is at Dillard,GA.

I will give a two-hour program, on the 16th; from 2:PM TO 4:PM. I plan to show a mountain gobbler, which I called in,with Leon's caller, and video him; near the Appalachian Trail, last May, in turkey season on a WMA. Tell all your friends about my seminar, and come and watch this mountain gobbler in full strut; at 15 yards.
herb mcclure