News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Turkey Call

Started by BillBlanks, September 29, 2015, 11:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnrut

Look forward to meeting you Mr. Herb.

As for my favorite call. I love a hen box and a trumpet....

Greg Massey

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

slamman

Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen heck of a guy to talk/listen to too.

idratherb

Gulvas 2.5 reed masters choice

Big Guy

I agree with the OP.  Quaker Boy Grand Old Master was the first call I ever bought, and it's called in plenty of toms.  No other call has had the success it has had for me.  Although I just started getting into the custom call addiction so maybe I'll find a new favorite soon!

bbcoach

My number 1 would be a Primos Ol Betsy slate with a hickory or laminated striker.  I've gotten more responses and called in more birds with it than any other call I have.  It is raspy and has the deepest ringing tone that really gets Ole 3 toes Gobbling his head off.  It has worked on Osceola's, Eastern's, Rio's and Merriam's.  A plastic body and slate call that only costs about $15.  My 2nd would be a Bloodwood over Black Walnut short box from Spring Creek's Mike Crooks.

Happy

3or 4 rred diaphram. Hands down.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Muzzy61

Quote from: BillBlanks on September 29, 2015, 11:31:12 AM
Ok - I'm sure this has been discussed plenty of times in different threads......but if you had to take only one call in to the woods with you, what would it be?

I've tried many of the big named diaphragms out there, but always find myself coming back to my Quaker Boy Grand Old Master box call.  For some reason I just love the way it sounds.  I'll keep a mouth call in for when the birds are getting in close, so I won't have to move my hands and can get set up for the shot with minimal movement. 

I hadn't tried many of the custom calls on the market, but I recently ordered a couple Hook Executioners and a Hooks Persuader.  I'm really impressed by both, especially the Executioner.  So much so, I may be able to limit my box calling to a very long distance.  So it just made me wonder......what's everyone's favorite?

Man, that's a hard one. i have many customs calls that i love, most made my guys on here.
But i too have a original Grand Old Master that i don't leave home without.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

West Augusta

Glen Marrer Glass over glass pot and either my Black locust or Dymondwood striker.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

slwayne

Probably my Crystal Mistress but my Scott Wilper Pocket Rocket box call would be a close second.

sulpher turk

I use a Simpsons custom box call! Works great

lmbhngr

Bowguy

Turkey vests have lots of pockets for good reason. Surface I think might be a first consideration or lack thereof. Diaphrams suit the bill in all weather conditions. I like hooks for that. Best, easiest calls I've ever run but I've also got a few friends swear by gooserbat.
Box calls can be really noisy n cumbersome so for me theyd be out if I had only one call. Scratch boxes by SS would def be a one call consideration, as long as it wasn't pouring.
Pots I think any slate is out, they don't run well even humid. Couple pots I like are Atomic 13, Crystal Mistress, Mad Hen, Cornleious glass (something bout that call I love) , and others. If I had to pick only one Id prob have the aluminum. The Atomic 13 last season was brutal on local birds. Got a Dawkins Aluminum on the way. Another great aluminum.
Any air blown type calls like trumpet, tubes, etc are harder for some guys to learn.
See why we need so many pockets?
Also depends on seasonality. Try kee keeing with a slate or cutter type mouth call.

Devastator

Scott just made me a Devastator with prohp on the bottom and it is a butt kicker!!