OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Winchester pheasant loads

Started by chadly, September 08, 2015, 08:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

I will admit I bought into the Winchester Long Beard hype and purchased some 3.5 inch #5's.  I will admit that they seem to be as good as the chatter about them.  However, here in Iowa we can shoot at best two spring birds and one fall bird.  A total of three shells spent in a best case scenario.  Now I see Winchester has pheasant load that is much like the Long Beards.  $22 for 15 shells.  If you are a serious upland hunter that is going to cost a ton of coin for shells.  For those of us who shoot a lot of birds that is.  I currently and have been shooting the Federal Wing Shock for the last 12-13 years.  They are getting up in price but I can still find them for $16/box/25.  Not to mention they are 200fps faster.  Attached is the Cabelas link for them.  What are your thoughts. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/winchester-174-rooster-xr-long-range-ammunition/1920495.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwinchester%252Brooster%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=winchester+rooster#BVQAWidgetID

Gooserbat

Might make a good reduced recoil tky load.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

I have only shot them through turkey chokes and they shoot tight patterns .  Might be good as a late season or wild flushing birds or as a second or third shot ? Just in case of missing the first  :(Or second  :toothy12: wouldn't be so good on a close rise if you like to eat them! Don't know how the would act out of improved or modified ?