OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boot Recommendation

Started by BigMick, August 29, 2015, 09:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMick

Okay guys, I'm heading to Ontario, Canada to moose hunt at the end of October and I'm looking for suggestions, that you have personal experience with.

Thanks

Greg Massey

Just for general walking and hunting if its not a rubber boot your looking for i like Lacrosse Silencer 8in. 1000gr. they are only 2.9 lbs. per pair.     if its rubber boots you want also look at the Lacrosse brands...all of use at our hunting camp really like the Silencer...its like wearing house shoes...

Greg Massey

If you want a rubber boot...look at the Lacrosse Alphaburly pro in 1000 gr...if your doing a lot of walking i don't think you will want anything that's more than a 1000 gr,,,

Onpoint

Quote from: BigMick on August 29, 2015, 09:01:27 AM
Okay guys, I'm heading to Ontario, Canada to moose hunt at the end of October and I'm looking for suggestions, that you have personal experience with.

Thanks
I switched away from "hunting" specific boots for turkey hunting this past season ans wish I had done this many years ago. I'm using salomon quest 4d boots and they are the best feeling boots I've ever had on my feet.

I also bought my wife a pair for hunting because her Basspro branded snake boots killed her feet. She ended up using them as her boots for her day job as a waitress too. Much more comfortable than any tennis shoes she owned.

I ended up wearing mine every day as well. I got to where I keep my climbing boots in a duffel bag on the track and the instant I'm out of trees for the day I put the salomon boots on.

They can be had for a little under $200 on ebay. I have the quest 4d and she has the comet 3d. Best boots either of us have ever owned.

Onpoint

Quote from: Onpoint on August 29, 2015, 05:43:25 PM

Thanks
I switched away from "hunting" specific boots for turkey hunting this past season ans wish I had done this many years ago. I'm using salomon quest 4d boots and they are the best feeling boots I've ever had on my feet.

I also bought my wife a pair for hunting because her Basspro branded snake boots killed her feet. She ended up using them as her boots for her day job as a waitress too. Much more comfortable than any tennis shoes she owned.

I ended up wearing mine every day as well. I got to where I keep my climbing boots in a duffel bag on the track and the instant I'm out of trees for the day I put the salomon boots on.

They can be had for a little under $200 on ebay. I have the quest 4d and she has the comet 3d. Best boots either of us have ever owned.
Before moving to this boot I had tried most brands on the market and I have owned a bunch of junk boots in my day.

However I did manage to stumble on danner pronghorn in that time and they were happened to be the best "hunting" specific boots I've owned in my 24 years of trying to find the perfect boots.

that said, my pronghorn didn't get hunted in a single day this turkey season. There were a couple days that my boots were still wet from either rain or crossing a high creek. On those days I wore a salomon running shoe. After buying their boots I bought a pair of their waterproof racing shoes for racing cords country in wet/muddy/snowey conditions. Had to put some "sofsole" insoles in these to relieve some toe pressure but other than that, these have been great too.

For an all around boot though I'd get the salomon quest 4d, comet 3d, or danner pronghorns.

Whatever you do, stay away from anything that has wolverine or rocky stitched on it. I've got a few pairs of each and they simply don't last.

30_06

Salewa Hike Trainer GTX's have worked pretty well for me the past 400 or so miles.
Boots are pretty personal, get a good fit, and then focus on everything else.

Snoodsniper

Irish setter elk tracker 882 is my favorite hunting boot. If it's wet plain ol Lacrosse burlys are best. I've  covered more miles than I can remember in both boots without a complaint.

Snoodsniper

Whatever you choose get them soon and break them in well. Hunting in new boots can really suck.

PALongspur

Quote from: Snoodsniper on August 30, 2015, 04:43:00 PM
Whatever you choose get them soon and break them in well. Hunting in new boots can really suck.

:agreed:

ncturkey

Is the Salmon Quest 4D Boots the GTX Model?
Quote from: Onpoint on August 29, 2015, 05:43:25 PM

Thanks