turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Barnes ammo

Started by surehuntsalot, August 21, 2015, 07:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

anyone have any experience with the TSX bullets, found a deal on some for my 35 Whelen
have never used Barnes ammo before
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

2eagles

I use Barnes bullets in my muzzle loader. I have been very happy with the performance on whitetails. I have recovered two bullets from deer I've shot and they have expanded perfectly. As accurate in my Encore as any other bullet I've used. Based on my results, my son is switching to Barnes this year.

davisd9

Barnes is the best bullet on the market right now. They allow you to use a smaller grain in larger caliber while losing nothing. It turns small calibers into big guns.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

J-Shaped

I've shot the original X-Bullets, the TSX and now the TTSX, all with great success in several calibers. I've also used the original Expander MZ muzzleloader bullets since they went on the market sometime back in the mid 90's I believe.

I've pretty much switched to them almost exclusively. I like the fact that I can run a lighter bullet at higher speeds without worry about jacket separation and other issues sometimes experienced with conventional cup and core bullets. Although the original X Bullet got a bad rap years ago, I've had no issues getting very good accuracy with all of their variations, and in several calibers.

Also, I've only recovered a small handful of them on game, but what ones I did looked just like the pictures in their ads. You'll be fine with them.

Fieldturkey

They really are about as close to hand loads as you can get.  Great bullets

xarcher

Agree with all of the positive comments above. Able to get sub MOA in several calibers. Shot elk, mule deer, whitetail, hogs, bear.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

captpete

Looks like I'm going to be the odd guy here. I tried Barnes bullets in my muzzleloader and didn't have very good results. I had to change sabots. The ones that came with the bullets were so tight I couldn't get them down the barrel. Once I was able to shoot them, they didn't group as well as the Hornaday bullets I was using. The other down side to them for me was they were pretty spendy....over a dollar per bullet. Then I had to buy other sabots pushing the cost up more.

2eagles

Quote from: captpete on August 22, 2015, 07:36:28 AM
Looks like I'm going to be the odd guy here. I tried Barnes bullets in my muzzleloader and didn't have very good results. I had to change sabots. The ones that came with the bullets were so tight I couldn't get them down the barrel. Once I was able to shoot them, they didn't group as well as the Hornaday bullets I was using. The other down side to them for me was they were pretty spendy....over a dollar per bullet. Then I had to buy other sabots pushing the cost up more.

You should try these.    Barnes' NEW Spit-Fire T-EZ muzzleloader bullets
Unless you shoot a lot, the cost isn't that bad. I'll give up a little in grouping for the other qualities of the Barnes.

captpete

Quote from: 2eagles on August 22, 2015, 09:56:53 AM
Quote from: captpete on August 22, 2015, 07:36:28 AM

You should try these.    Barnes' NEW Spit-Fire T-EZ muzzleloader bullets
Unless you shoot a lot, the cost isn't that bad. I'll give up a little in grouping for the other qualities of the Barnes.

I wouldn't say I shoot alot.....I put 10 -20 rounds through it before going hunting. I get roughly 3" groups at 100yd with the Hornaday bullets I'm using. I haven't found anything that groups better(it could be the person pulling the trigger :laugh:). I bought bulk bullets for $32 per 100 and the sabots I use are $9 per 50. That is about $.50 per bullet. The Barnes bullets are $1.30 or more per bullet/sabot. I'm not trying to be cheap, but I just don't see the need to spend that much extra to lose accuracy. I don't know what the other qualities are that you referred to that I would be gaining(I would be willing to learn). The Hornadays do what I need them to do...they hit where I aim and put the animal down fast & efficiently(usually less than 100yd.) leaving a good blood trail.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!  :P :P

stinkpickle

Are we talking about Barnes loaded ammunition or just their bullets?

Happy

I have used them in my .270 as both factory loads in the federal premium line and as handloads. I get a little better  accuracy with the handloads but performance is the same. Dead critters. I even shot a buck with a .223 55grn tsx and he made it maybe 20 yards on a heart shot. My son shot his first buck with that same gun and even though it was a horrible shot ( hindquarter) it anchored him till he could get a second shot in him. You get rapid expansion without the the bullet fragmenting which is great for most applications. Definitely a top bullet if you don't mind to pay a little extra.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ElkTurkMan

I first used Barnes bullets back in 2012.  I was very pleased with there performance on a bull elk that I took.  I just ordered some barnes sabot's for my muzzleloader.  I look forward to experimenting with them.  By the way they have  rebate now on there center fire ammo.   

fountain2

What's the thoughts on the barnes in factory loaded ammo for a 270..I'm guessing thst would be 130 gr.

Which bullet should I get for thin skinned deer in ga?  Ttsx?

davisd9

I use them and love them. The TTSX is a great bullet. I highly recommend them.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Happy

I shot the factory ammo in the federal premium line for a few years. Was getting about inch and a half groups at 100 with my stainless ruger. Good enought for me for hunting in the woods of the northeast but I rarely shoot over 100 yards here. Performance was great. Have shot bucks through the shoulders and dropped them as well as lung shots which always left great blood and I don't recall any making it out of sight. Probably killed around ten deer or so with them. Got into reloading and have some loaded up but have been shooting the nose accubond the last 3 years or so. No complaints with performance with either. I just like to experiment.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club