OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Dog Proof Traps?

Started by beagler, August 02, 2015, 09:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagler

Was planning on picking up a half dozen new dog proof coon traps to help protect an acre of corn I have planted out back come fall. Just wondering what some of you gentlemen are using?
Never Misses

snapper1982

First I should tell you they are NOT dog proof. Many a dog has been caught by their tongue so make sure and use a bait that dogs are not likely to want.

Duke
Bridger
Diablo
Lil griz
Freedom brand
Z-trap

Dukes are my favorites but these all are great and will work for you. So have different features and/or accessories but they all work from the same design.

woodsman1977

deadbuck

They are all about the same. The technique is what you need to focus on. If you bait them all and catch one or 2 coons your catch is about over. Put them out and bait them for a week or 10 days without setting them letting the coons get used to playing in them. Then set them all one night and you will probably have a 90% catch rate that night. Catch rate will go down drastically then.

Deputy 14

Duke DPs are priced right and work as well as anything else.

Jbird22

Turkeykiller12

I use coon dagger dp traps and they have worked great. No pull outs and no missed catches.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

redjones

Snapper,
Just wondering,where did you get your info on catching dogs by the tongue come from.
I would like to read up on this or see some pictures of damage done to dogs.
I run dogs during trapping season and don't want to have to deal with any problems.

Thanks............Greg

Semper Fi

beagler

Ended up purchasing a couple Duke's and a couple Freedom Brand. As far as hounds getting caught, never had an issue with a DP. Been running beagles and foxhounds since I was a kid. Had a couple in snares and coil springs over the years, none were hurt.
Never Misses

snapper1982

Quote from: redjones on August 11, 2015, 09:42:41 PM
Snapper,
Just wondering,where did you get your info on catching dogs by the tongue come from.
I would like to read up on this or see some pictures of damage done to dogs.
I run dogs during trapping season and don't want to have to deal with any problems.

Thanks............Greg

I doubt you would have any problems running dogs as most trappers use a fish based scent in the trap and dogs don't care for it. I am a trapper so I don't want to add to the dog hunters vs trappers fight. So please realize if it were to happen it wasn't on purpose and the trapper took dogs into consideration when he chose to use a dog proof.