OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Habitat Work

Started by nativeks, July 27, 2015, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativeks

We planted 25 burr oak trees back in late april. Before I could get tree tubes on them the rain came and they got covered in water for a few weeks. I figured I had just wasted $30 but much to my surprise I found they were growing branches and leaves and a few appear to be doing great where the water wasn't as deep. So we got some tree tubes and have the trees protected now. We found 15 that appeared to still be growing. The whole family helped.

One of my next projects is restoring native grass to about 15 acres to give ground nesting birds better habitat. I am also working on thinning and removing the locust and hedge that they previous owner just allowed to take over.

cramerhunts

Right on! Looks like a good time with the family that should pay some great dividends.

nativeks

Daughter and I prepped food plot sites and burned piles today.

Getting rain now hopefully the buckwheat we seeded takes off.

outdoors

A LOT OF FUN WORK.  :icon_thumright:   :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

nativeks

So the buckwheat didn't really do great because the turkeys cleaned me out before it had a chance >:(

Greg Massey

Nice job...love to see young people at work helping the turkeys.

owlhoot

Looks like your new place is coming right along, nice job!

nativeks

Some of the oaks are doing splendid inside the tubes. Others have all but died.

Tonight seeded oats, turnips, and clovers. Also I have declared all out war on sericea and I am starting to see results. My milo/millet turkey/quail food plot is doing fantastic.