OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Hunt Ever, Filmed and Successful!

Started by dane1122, July 14, 2015, 06:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dane1122

Hi Guys! Quite new to the forum. Going to participate more as I turkey hunt more.

Anyways, for a few years now ever since I got my hunting licence I've been dying to go turkey hunting. This past spring we finally got a location which was the issue. We hunted 3 hunts, the 1st hunt we got our 2 birds (limit), the 2nd hunt got cut short due to a farmer spraying, and the 3rd hunt we got out last 2 birds for a perfect season. Very excited and pumped about that. I just started to film hunting. I'm a complete amateur and I filmed both hunts. I appreciate any feedback, keep in mind I'm an amateur filmer and Turkey hunter but I would appreciate any advice of things we did wrong or could do better. That is if you guys are interested in watching the videos! If you do I would appreciate a thumbs up! Thanks all!!

1st Hunt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFs_Yre6xMQ

2nd/3rd Hunt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LclQZlNCO_I

GobbleNut

Great job with the video guys,....really enjoyed watching both of them.  It's obvious that you put a lot of thought and effort into the video production and it really shows in the finished product.  I would say that you have a winning formula in terms of the production quality.  Great job!

Having said that, as an "old school" turkey hunter, I couldn't help but think while watching the videos that it would be nice to have that quality of video production on what we "traditionalists" consider to be a "real" turkey hunt,...one without the advantages of sitting in a blind and waiting for birds to show up at decoys.  I'm really not trying to be critical, but as new turkey hunters, I hate to see you (or others) not have the opportunity to understand what the real thrill of spring gobbler hunting is. 

I also understand how difficult it is to get the same quality of hunt video by eschewing the blind and actually getting out there and hunting gobblers the traditional way.  You made a great video and you should be proud of it.  My whole point of this commentary is that, in my opinion (take it for what it might be worth) is that you will enjoy and understand the thrill of spring gobbler hunting more if you begin to focus more on the actual hunting method as opposed to getting great video. 

I know that those of us that hunt the "traditional" way would enjoy your productions much more,....at least those are my personal thoughts.  Either way, you have put together a great production,...and I enjoyed watching it very much.

dirt road ninja

I enjoyed it! Loved seeing those jakes rolled up, ya don't see that everyday.

ferocious calls

Nice filming! FYI, if you putt at them instead of bleating, hissing or whatever that was, they will stop for a head raise to take the pattern. Just say Putt!

Greg Massey

dane1122

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 14, 2015, 07:42:46 PM
Great job with the video guys,....really enjoyed watching both of them.  It's obvious that you put a lot of thought and effort into the video production and it really shows in the finished product.  I would say that you have a winning formula in terms of the production quality.  Great job!

Having said that, as an "old school" turkey hunter, I couldn't help but think while watching the videos that it would be nice to have that quality of video production on what we "traditionalists" consider to be a "real" turkey hunt,...one without the advantages of sitting in a blind and waiting for birds to show up at decoys.  I'm really not trying to be critical, but as new turkey hunters, I hate to see you (or others) not have the opportunity to understand what the real thrill of spring gobbler hunting is. 

I also understand how difficult it is to get the same quality of hunt video by eschewing the blind and actually getting out there and hunting gobblers the traditional way.  You made a great video and you should be proud of it.  My whole point of this commentary is that, in my opinion (take it for what it might be worth) is that you will enjoy and understand the thrill of spring gobbler hunting more if you begin to focus more on the actual hunting method as opposed to getting great video. 

I know that those of us that hunt the "traditional" way would enjoy your productions much more,....at least those are my personal thoughts.  Either way, you have put together a great production,...and I enjoyed watching it very much.

Thank you, I appreciate that and also appreciate the input! More videos to come in the future!

dane1122

Quote from: dirt road ninja on July 14, 2015, 09:41:46 PM
I enjoyed it! Loved seeing those jakes rolled up, ya don't see that everyday.

Thank you sir! Also, what do you mean by "jakes rolled up"?

dane1122

Quote from: ferocious calls on July 15, 2015, 09:47:03 AM
Nice filming! FYI, if you putt at them instead of bleating, hissing or whatever that was, they will stop for a head raise to take the pattern. Just say Putt!

Thank you! As we were new to turkey hunting we actually weren't sure what the best noise was. I just tried "pssssp!" , hoping their head would come up! Next time I will say Putt. Thanks!

dane1122