turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I need some advise

Started by monty690, July 13, 2015, 04:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty690

I'm new to the turkey hunting crowd but really got the bug last season hunting with my son. I'm looking forward to next season as much as I've ever looked forward to an opening day for anything. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions on here but here's the first thing on my mind. I've got an old Rem. 1100, 2 3/4" that has killed a lot of game over the years. It's got a new 30" rib vent barrel that's only had a half a dozen or so shots through it with a factory full choke. To me it shoots tight with 6's and 7 1/2's, but I haven't patterned it like I see you people talking about. I know that I should probably pattern it before asking, but do any of you have any experience with this set-up and what loads do you shoot. An other question I have on my mind is penetration. What could I shoot that's comparable to a turkey's head to check penetration? Thanks in advance.

BABS9

I used to shoot an 1100 as well when I first started turkey hunting. Vent rib barrel but I couldn't put chokes in it. I used the Rem Nitro Turkeys #5's in it for the most part. It will kill turkeys for sure. I killed a couple with it the furthest being 35 yds. But at 35-40 yards the pattern was a little to open for my liking. Alot of holes in the pattern. I ended up selling the gun and got an 11-87 super mag for the reason of being able to shoot 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/4" shells.  Most of the turkey loads now are 3" and 3 1/4" magnums. I threw a hevi-shot choke in it and I couldn't be happier with my patterns.  I shoot 3 1/4" magnum blends and there are no holes in my patterns, I put alot more BB's on target and they hit harder.

dutch@fx4

I would try some federal  flight control wad shells  in number 6 and see were that gets you at 25 yards if it looks good then try it at 30 and see ,this will give you a idea of what your gun can do ,and is a good place to start Dutch

dirt road ninja

My first thought was Federal 5's or 6's as well, but in all reality you will probably hold a better pattern out to 30 yards with the 7.5. You just can't use them much past 30. I believe EM makes a 2.75" load. I'll check and revert. If your looking to dabble much past 33-37 yards you will more than likely need a HTL load.

Snoodsniper

I'd give the Winchester Rooster XR's a try if 2 3/4" is your only option.

Oconeeguy

I found some 2.75" Federal Heavyweight. #7 last year and bought a box. Seems like that would be the cats meyow in your gun. Most dense shot out there (aside from TSS), so it will carry killing power farther than lead. And with a shot size #7, you have small enough size that you should have plenty of pellets for a dense shot pattern at distance.

monty690

Thank y'all, this is the stuff that I'm looking for.

THattaway

I started out turkey hunting with a 1100 and 870 with 30" factory full choke barrels using Montgomery Ward #6 2 3/4" magnums. All I can say is though not by today's standards (or mine) it was still a proven 40 yard gun. You have a lot of better options with loads but what you have will work fine at reasonable distances.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

BHMTitan

Quote from: Snoodsniper on July 13, 2015, 07:50:07 PM
I'd give the Winchester Rooster XR's a try if 2 3/4" is your only option.
^^ Yes!
Rooster Patterns: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,55989.0.html

Greg Massey

I would try and find a used rem. 870 3 in.. with choke tubes or a mossberg 500. ..3 in with tubes betwwen now and next turkey season ..I think in the long run you will be happier with a 3 in. gun

eggshell

Remington Nitro 5s should shoot well in that gun. here is the thing, what are you planning to do as a turkey hunting philosophy? Do you want to shoot a bird as soon as he is inside 50 yards, then get a gun built to do this. If you want the discipline and reward of getting your birds inside 30 yards then keep the gun and pattern several types shells and go with the best pattern.

monty690

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 14, 2015, 03:00:53 PM
I would try and find a used rem. 870 3 in.. with choke tubes or a mossberg 500. ..3 in with tubes betwwen now and next turkey season ..I think in the long run you will be happier with a 3 in. gun

Yessir, I understand that and if my gun don't work out to suit me that's what I'll do. I really like to use my gun because of sentimental value I suppose. I've had it for about 42-43 years and it's never let me down.

Quote from: eggshell on July 14, 2015, 04:12:11 PM
Remington Nitro 5s should shoot well in that gun. here is the thing, what are you planning to do as a turkey hunting philosophy? Do you want to shoot a bird as soon as he is inside 50 yards, then get a gun built to do this. If you want the discipline and reward of getting your birds inside 30 yards then keep the gun and pattern several types shells and go with the best pattern.

That's a good question and here's my thinking. I consider myself an ethical hunter to the point of one shot, one kill. I like a challenge and for me the challenge will be the calling not filling the tags. I saw the patience that my son showed with his calling, sometimes getting the bird in and sometimes not. Although filling tags would be nice, calling will be my attraction to turkey hunting.

monty690

Once again, I thank all of you for your advise and willingness to help a newbie.

THattaway

You can go ankle deep or neck deep on turkey guns and still kill turkeys. For a set up like yours and just starting out I'd do a quick pattern session with what you have on hand. Use a big piece of paper, like contractor paper you can get a roll of from lowes. Trace your forearm and balled up fist for a rough turkey head and neck in the center of it. Make a spot on the wattles for an aiming point. Measure off 30 and 40 yards and shoot about three times with a given load at each yardage. You will immediately see pattern density and any point of impact issues. Then when hunting hold for a shot opportunity where you can see a tom's eye clearly and you should have him within 40 yard range. If you hold for 40 yards you will pretty much have necessary penetration with all lead turkey loads. Hunted successfully for many a year with guns that consistently put 12 pellets in the head and neck of a turkey silhouette target like that at 40 yards. These days it's generally accepted that your max range should be where you are still getting 100 pellet strikes in a 10" circle.  That will get you started but be warned, you will quickly be upping your gun pattern performance expectations and gun and ammo collection if the turkey bug takes.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles